The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 11:54 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about
Default SAGE sp

Looking at a sage sp in 5 wt. any thoughts greatly appreciated.
HAPPY NEW YEAR
Old 01-01-2011, 01:45 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SAGE sp

It's a great rod if its medium action matches your stroke.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:05 PM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

I have a 5wt Sage FLi (they don't make that model anymore) and I love it. It is the best rod I have every owned. A friend has a Sage in a 6wt and I have used it and feel the same way. Sage rods are good products.

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 01-01-2011, 08:29 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw76 View Post
Looking at a sage sp in 5 wt. any thoughts greatly appreciated.
HAPPY NEW YEAR
Presume you're looking for one used, since I don't think Sage makes them anymore. I have one in a 5-piece 5-weight with an extra tip (which I bought used on eBay a while back), and it's my favorite all-around rod for trout fishing, despite having other more expensive rods in that general weight range. It's considered a classic, and I understand it was one of Sage's best-selling rods before they discontinued making them.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:35 PM

Well after not much deliberation, seeing that i love the action on my slt, i decided to get a sp/lamson combo off of ebay: 5 wt sp 2 piece wit a lamson litespeed reel both in mint condition. I got the combo for a reasonable price and all is well..........Until today (I had it shipped to my brother in IL) after arrival my bro was doing the mandatory initial inspection and the reel seat came apart when he was taking the reel off . Has anyone had a similar problem w their sp? Thanks Cody
Old 01-10-2011, 03:56 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well after not much deliberation, seeing that i love the action on my slt, i decided to get a sp/lamson combo off of ebay: 5 wt sp 2 piece wit a lamson litespeed reel both in mint condition. I got the combo for a reasonable price and all is well..........Until today (I had it shipped to my brother in IL) after arrival my bro was doing the mandatory initial inspection and the reel seat came apart when he was taking the reel off . Has anyone had a similar problem w their sp? Thanks Cody
Wow, big bummer. What do you mean that the reel seat came apart? I assume it is uplocking since it's a 5wt, so either the butt came off or the butt and the seat both came off. In either case, assuming nothing broke, it can be fixed. Old hardened flex cement can be loosened with heat and burnishing or straight acetone. Then depending on what the reel seat was attached to on the butt end of the blank (I've never taken apart a factory rod) you can clean that up or use masking tape to build a solid foundation to epoxy the seat back onto. It isn't too difficult. You just have to line it up right and mix your epoxy.

I have 3 Sage's, one SLT that I love, all that I put together myself and have never had an issue with a reel seat.

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:13 PM

I believe the uplocking section of the reel seat is the part that has failed. Firstly I'll contact sage and the seller then go from there. Thanks for the advice on the repair method. C
Old 01-10-2011, 04:41 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
I believe the uplocking section of the reel seat is the part that has failed. Firstly I'll contact sage and the seller then go from there. Thanks for the advice on the repair method. C
I'd be interested to hear what Sage says about the warranty. If it is just the threaded butt section of the seat that has come apart from the spacer (with no damage to the spacer - is it wood or graphite?) you really should have no problem gluing that back on.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:41 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

It will cost you roughly 50 bucks but you can send it back to Sage for warranty repair.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: SAGE sp

Quote:
Cody,

Like Dean_Mt., I am also bewildered by the reel seat problem, as I have never encountered a situation anywhere near that. But I have to wonder about the so-called "mint" condition.

Curious to know whether you got the extra rod tip I got with my SP. Of course, mine was a five-piece, and since yours is a two-piece, Sage may not have included what would be a much more expensive tip.

Neil