The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 02:55 AM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road
Default bass line

Greetings, I want to get into some striper/largemouth at a local lake and need a floating line for my 8 wt to cast poppers/clousers in the shallows. I have a 8 wt Rio Grande line that I use for salmon/steelhead but have never tried casting bass flies with it. Has anyone tried casting large wind resistant flies with the Rio Grande line?
Old 01-03-2011, 03:21 PM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: bass line

Anyone....?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:14 AM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

Well, if nobody wants to chime in, I'll bite. I mainly target bass, so this is right up my alley. I throw all kinds of poppers, crease flies, terrestrials, and streamers on 6 WT line, using a 7 foot rod. If I can do it with that, I'm sure you can do it on almost any 8 WT. Performance with clousers will depend upon how heavy they are, but I've done it.

I'd recommend using a short leader for that kind of work. Maybe six feet or so, including the tippet.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:27 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Tell you what. Do an experiment for us. Tie up the biggest puffiest indicator or an actual bass fly to a leader that is tied to your Rio Grand. That will clue you in to whether you can can cast a bass fly with that line.

MP
Old 01-04-2011, 04:25 PM

sxm has a spectacular aura aboutsxm has a spectacular aura about

This may not answer exactly, but I use an 8wt all the time from my kayak. Makes things a lot easier than my normal 5wt. I cast beaded head woolly buggers, clousers and poppers in the 4 and 6 range.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:56 AM

eldermike is on a distinguished road

Personally I don't fish heavy rods on bass. You have to make 1000's of cast bass fishing and light is your friend IMHO. I do alot of bass fishing between trips to the mountains. I use a 6 weight most of the time but will go down to 4 if it's calm. Don't forget large wollybuggers, shiny black with a little flash. I fish them like any bass jig. Bass will pick them up fished dead slow or laying on the bottom.

For wind resistant poppers, fish close and use a short leader (6 feet). I have found that long casts are not needed for largemouth bass. Typical bass lakes in my area the bass are not boat shy in the slightest.

Good luck.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:03 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

I've always been partial to the bass line in "Midnight Confessions" by the Grass Roots.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/