The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 01:16 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default What was your first fish on a fly rod?

I have been teaching the younger members of our family to fly fish lately and I guess I have been feeling nostalgic. I was just curious as to what type of fish people landed for the first time on a fly rod. I think people would like to hear a little about the story also - where? with who? how old? type of fly? Enjoy.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:42 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: What was your first fish on a fly rod?

The first fish I ever landed was a 5" bluegill. I had never fly fished before and wanted some practice on the water before I went on my semi-annual guys getaway trout fishing weekend last fall.

I used a 4wt rod with a brown hopper pattern. He was only the first of a dozen of so that I caught and released that day. I took my youngest son who grew bored rather quickly. It was at an Isaac Walton pond where I am a member.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:43 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

When I was little, my father and grandfather belonged to the 'Broad Brook Angling Club'. We all had cane rods. Mine was one of those post-war Japanese jobs, a real cheapy.
The times when I was invited to go along most often my father would go off and fish while my grandfather babysat.
We'd sit on the bank in a meadow and fish on the bottom with bait. Suckers and turtles mostly.
I remember one time though ranging out a little and spotting a trout in a shallow area.
I had a wet fly on, probably a black gnat, that's what grandfather would have tied on for me.
Anyways, I cast to and caught that trout all on my own.... I couldn't have been any older than 6.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:45 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

it was on a family vacation, early 80s, my family had retreated to the car along the road as i continued fishing the firehole in yellowstone. never knew a flyfisherman, never saw it done in real life, not quite sure what propelled my father and i to take it up for our long road trip one summer vacation but i finally hooked into three with a royal coachman dry fly, and nobody close enough to see. cheap orange 8ft. daiwa fiberglass rod, martin 67A reel, ivory colored aircel DT line... cutthroat? doesn't matter, it was the end of a beautiful day... stopped fishing a couple of years later when i discovered girls. took it up again 20 years later.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:18 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

My first fish on a fly rod was brown trout. I had just finished an intro to fly fishing class earlier that afternoon that included an "on the river" section. Everyone else left after the class, but not me, the addict. I stayed and fished the section the class just left. Didn't catch anything, so I waded further upstream dragging my fly (BH Hare's Ear) through the water behind me when all of a sudden I felt that miraculous tug! So much for fishing strategies!
Old 04-08-2009, 10:03 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

Green Sunfish on top. It was a hoot. It was on a mountian stream here in AZ, that I thought had no fish. I was using a dragonfly. I was 18 years young. Did not get me hooked on fly fishing though. I got hook on it when I turned 24. Really did not use the long rod between 18 and 24.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:50 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

My first was a 16-inch brown caught last year at Grant Lake in the Eastern Sierra. It was during a light snowstorm in May. The clouds parted just enough for a little hatch of mayflies to come off, and the rises commenced. I set aside the conventional gear and tied on a small mayfly imitation on my 6wt. It was magic watching that brown rise to my fly.

It was special for several reasons. I have caught many rainbows at Grant Lake before, but that was my first brown.

I'm thrilled to have just recently discovered the joy and challenge of flyfishing. I've become a student of the sport, trying my luck with largemouth bass at local lakes as well as surf fishing.

-VB
Old 04-09-2009, 07:47 AM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Lots of great stories.

I apologize to everybody. I just noticed that the "poll" did not get added to my original thread post. I have no idea why it didn't appear. I intended to list a number of fish species to see which one got the most votes. Alas, the best laid plans...

Anyway, if none of you mind that this poll has no poll, I am still fascinated by these answers. All we need now is a campfire and a bottle of whiskey.

Mine: It was a six-inch brookie caught at the outlet to a lake on the Grand Mesa in western Colorado. I believe I took him (and about ten of his friends) on a royal coachman, probably about a size 12. No skill involved except that I got the fly in the water that time. But watching that little fish break the surface and actually "see" the fish take the fly for the first time was all it took. It sure beat sitting on the bank and waiting for your rod to twitch, never seeing the take. I was alone at the time because nobody else fly fished in my family at that time.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:13 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Mine was also a brook tout in CO., my mom grew up in Fort Colliens and we use to go back once a year or so. My dad bought my a cheap fly rod and taught me to ty some flies. We went to a little lake in the RMNP one time and caught some brookies, on spinners and spinning rods, I thought of teh fly rod and went back to the car and strung it up and walked back. He had got me a pair of those plastic waders K-Mart use to sell, when I put them on my foot ripped the side out, so I slipped my boots back on and fished from the bank, no luck. It was June and being form MO we were swimming in the ponds al;ready, so I decided to wade out in my boots, LOL I soon found the mountian lkaes DO NOT warm up like ponds in MO. Anway I got out a little way and actually caught a brook on a yellow and grizzly fly, I was so happy I forgot about my cold feet and legs and kept fishing, I caught a few more then my legs and feet were so cold I had to go back in, they wereblue when I took my boots off. That set the rest of my fishing life. I was maybe 10 at the time and been flyfishing and tyinbg every since, for ANYTHING that swims.
For a few years in MO. I never even touched my other gear, now I guide on the lake, and fish bass tournaments so I use spinning and bait casting gear again, but I still use fly gear alot.
The damdist thing I ever caught on a fy rod was a snapping turtle that weighd in at 35 lbs. Before I knew about actually cathing cats on a fly, I took a 7wt rod and a pack of hotdogs to a catfish pond, ( I was about 14) hooked a chunck of dog on a hook, coiled my fly line by my feet and threw the hotdog out, after 3-4 nice cats I had that snapper bite and landed him lol.
Any one want some turtle soup
Bear
Old 04-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

My first, was a 19" Redfish on the backside of Mustang Island, near Corpus.

We started wading in cool but tolerable water when it was barely light after leaving SATX around 3 AM. (I was 19, no sleep had occurred, of course) The plugger headed off towards the deeper water, myself and the other fly angler were drawn to a maze of shallow channels broken up by very short mangroves. I was attuned to every twitch, ripple, and faint pop, so its a good thing the mullet were mostly still asleep. I had tied on a Clouser with some glow-in-the-dark flashabou, and had an eagle eye out for any appearance of fishyness.

I saw a swirl in one of those channels that I thought had to have been made by something sizeable, and cast at it. The first cast and strip past it produced nothing, but I was sure I was on the right track, so I did it again. That one worked, and I even managed to set the hook into his jaw well enough. That turned out to be a good thing because we began an amusing chase session through the mangrove maze.

I eventually brought the thing to hand and probably knew right then and there that I was hooked on this sport forever. There was no camera at hand, but none is needed to preserve that memory forever.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.