The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 12:11 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down Re: Newbie with a gear question??

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_infidel View Post
same love my simms boots. have one pair for the tubes and river, and one pair for hiking moauntain lakes.
Well, if you had Korkers you wouldn't need two pairs of boots - one pair with two of their interchangeable soles would have worked just right, without the carry weight of an additional pair of boots.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Newbie with a gear question??

Hi Fly2Fish,

Are you going to get the new model of Korkers?

Frank
Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Newbie with a gear question??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Fly2Fish,

Are you going to get the new model of Korkers? Frank
Hi Frank,

Not for the time being. As it turns out, I already have three pairs of Korkers. I bought the first pair (1st generation) when I was at my "low weight", and the boot was tight even then. When I gained back to a more normal level (for me), I needed a larger boot, so bought their lace-boot "second generation" product line. The interchangeable soles are not interchangeable between different version lines, but that wasn't a factor, since the second pair I bought was a larger size and soles between sizes wouldn't have been interchangeable anyway.

However, I have back problems, and over time I'd come to regret buying only lace-type wading boots (as the first two pairs were), so when recently second generation BOA-laced top line Korkers Guide boots came on sale at a heavily-discounted price (in anticipation of their new Chrome model boots being introduced), I bought a pair, which I haven't even used yet. Part of my decision was that since I already had several soles for my pre-existing second generation lace-type Korkers, I wouldn't need to buy additional interchangeable soles for these new BOA-laced boots.

However, it does sound like the new Korkers "generation three" Chrome model wading boots have apparent significant advantages over both generation two and generation one. A fuller "cover" on their felt sole interchangeable sole, for one. Also, no key required for interchanging soles, a significant advantage. And I have also heard that their great BOA lacing system has also been improved for the new Chrome boots.

Back to your original question: I'm not planning in the near future to buy a pair of Korkers' new third generational Chrome wading boots, because: (1) I want to see how well this new third generational Chrome wading boot works on interchangeable soles without a tool (Korkers has in the past over-hyped the ease of interchanging their interchangeable soles); and (2) I've got several pairs of Korkers boots that need wearing out first. However, if the BOA system works as well as I'm hoping on the discounted second-generational Korkers I just bought (& if my weight drops down to what it should be), I'll certainly buy a pair of Korkers Chromes then.

Frankly, even recognizing the high quality and kudos that Simms wading boots receives on this Forum from very knowledgeable and experienced fly-fishermen, I do not understand why any one would buy a pair of wading boot with only one pair of non-interchangeable soles when you could buy a pair of Korkers allowing unlimited interchange of sole types.