The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 03:34 PM

auburnflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie with a gear question??

Best wading boots and where to buy them. I have heard a lot of good things about Korkers but just wanted everyone's opinion and thoughts on other brands. Thanks and Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:44 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Newbie with a gear question??

Since I have owned Simms boots, I have never been disappointed. Their vibram soles are grippy, the boots are comfortable, and their warranty and customer service are top knotch.

You cannot go wrong with them.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:58 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The new 2011 Korkers sole interface is the best system yet. The felt will run edge to edge compared to previous generations. A special tool is no longer required.

I tried on the Metalhead model at the shop. Like usual, I upsized by one to accommodate a neoprene bootie and sock. Length was fine, but the width was a bit narrow for my D width feet. The BOA lace system was very easy to operate.

I still am wearing felt and studded felt boots by Patagonia. They are working well, so I won't change until it becomes illegal. I had an older set of studded felt boots delaminate. Patagonia replaced them without any questions. What I like best of them are that they are super light.

MP
Old 01-02-2011, 01:14 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i've heard the new ll bean gray ghost boots are supposed to be really nice. i like patagonia myself. but bottom line, try on what you can, and then decide.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-02-2011, 05:37 AM

the_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcordray View Post
Since I have owned Simms boots, I have never been disappointed. Their vibram soles are grippy, the boots are comfortable, and their warranty and customer service are top knotch.

same love my simms boots. have one pair for the tubes and river, and one pair for hiking moauntain lakes.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I have some boots to try on!
Old 01-02-2011, 11:10 AM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

I bought my boots on Gary (gjcordray)'s recommendation. I agree with the others, they are great.

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 01-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Got a pair of Simms too,but two years ago I bought a pair of Greys on ebay for $40 Greys GRX Wading Boots after about one hundred outings they're still in good condition
Old 01-05-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcordray View Post

I appreciate your input. I went with the Simms Freestone Vibram sole and I will be buying the start cleats to go on them. Thanks again.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi auburnflyfisher,

I think you made an excellent choice. I am a big fan of Simms gear and have never been disappointed in anything. Their gear is not the lowest priced but I think it is worth the extra cost.

Frank