The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2006, 10:52 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Favorite "Go to" fly for trout ??

Feb. 14,

I was trying to remember whether or not I have asked this question in another thread sometime back, but don't think I have.

What is your favorite "GO TO" fly when you hit the water in search of trout ?
Putting it another way : Is that you would not even consider going out in the river without this fly somewhere in your fly boxes you are carrying in your vest.

One of the first fly tying classes I was fortunate to take at my local fly shop was led by a young man who made it known to us that the "Elk Hair Caddis" pattern which we were getting ready to tie was just such as fly. His name was Ty & he said that fly MUST be in his box & that he has caught more trout on that fly than any other. I recently had a group of guys over to my place to tie up some flies & that was one pattern I shared.

What about you, do have such a fly ? If you are able please share a picture or recipe so that others my try your "GO TO" fly. I will try to post the recipe I have for my "Elk Hair Caddis" soon.

Always in the water,

Tie One On
Old 02-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Favorite "Go to" fly for trout ??

I think for me that fly would have to be a soft-hackle peacock. This one has brownish hackle fibers, but i usually tie mine with the more white partridge feathers.
Click the image to open in full size.

The elk hair caddis is a great caddis pattern, I just don't get many opportunities to fish a caddis hatch. Soft hackles can be fished as an emerger, on the swing or with a leisenring lift, or down deep with shot added as a nymph. My second choice would probably be a Copper John, because I like to fish swift water and it sinks like a rock.
I like the version with rubber legs even better.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Cast Like A Pro

dougm will become famous soon enoughdougm will become famous soon enough

I think I've mentioned it before, but seems to me I always reach for a Silver Doctor (wet) in either 12 or 14. I know it's for salmon but the trout, grayling and smalles didn't get the word.

Fly Fishing with Doug Macnair
www.douglasmacnair.com
Old 02-15-2006, 10:24 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Cliff,

Just curious, but the photo almost looks like there are 2 gold bead heads on this fly, or am I just seeing things ?

What size hook is that tied on, or what do you prefer to tie it on ?

A friend of mine just gave me a fly that is very similar to that, only it had green wire on it & not copper.

Great pattern, thanks,

Tie One On
Old 02-15-2006, 11:12 AM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough

When I don't have any trout rising and giving themselves away I search with an Olive Wooly bugger tied with a lead wrap and no bead head. I strip it in the upper collum of water first then I dop it down and crawl it across the bottom. However with rising fish I too find great results with the elk hair caddis and many times tie on a dropper or two.. I am still on the big learning curve and try to always try new things. I've even fished a trot-line when fising gets real slow..
Old 02-15-2006, 02:23 PM

idabelangler will become famous soon enoughidabelangler will become famous soon enough

I fish a SHWAPF it's a dry, a wet, a nymph, or a streamer. It does it all.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Tie One On, I think what you are seeing is the eye of the hook peeking out from behind the bead. The green one you've got would still be considered a "copper john", although I guess a green copper john is kind of an oxymoron. there also available in red, black, blue, and many variations with alternating colors of wire I will generally tie them in 12-16, and buy 18's and 20's because those are quite a bugger to tie. Mercer's micro mayfly is one that I would sooner tie in the smallest sizes, as its a little simpler. The main point is to use the biggest bead you can, and tie the body skinny so it will get down.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:50 AM

Idabelangler,

What is a Shwaph ? I have never heard of a fly by that name.

How can a fly be considered a dry, nymph, or streamer unless it is tied three different ways ?

You've really got my curiousity up. Do you have a picture of this fly ? or a pattern recipe ?

Tie One On
Old 02-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

The SHWAPF is an all purpose fly that can be fished all those different ways. Here it is: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...91100fotw.html
I've never gotten all that excited about it, but I am the exception to the rule.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:08 PM

harleybob87 is on a distinguished road
Re: Favorite "Go to" fly for trout ??

My favorite go to fly is the stayner ducktail. I don't care if I am fishing a lake or river this fly has always produced year round. I also tie this in a yellow to imitate perch if I am fishing a lake with perch in it. Fish don't just tap it they flat out slam it every time and it is very easy to tie.