04-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Re: New vs Old type of Nets ?
Originally Posted by tie one on
I am seriously considering replacing my old rope landing Net that I've used in my Hyde for years with a new Rubber type Net. I've never used one of the new Rubber nets & just wondered if I could get some feedback from any of you who may use one.
1. I've heard their better for the fish, true or false ?
2. How well do the Rubber ones hold up ? ( good warranty, do they last as as long, my old rope one is probably 30+ years old ? )
3. Do your hooks still get entangled with the net ?
4. Since this is for use in a drift boat, which one would you recommend ?
( I've seen one in Cabelas & one in LL Bean that were reasonably priced, at least for me. )
5. Aluminum or wood handle ? ( Which is best ? )
6. Will they hold bigger fish securely ? ( Steelhead/Salmon )
Tie One On-----------------<*))))))))><
I'll try to answer
!. they are a lot smoother so they won't scrape off slime & I think there is less chance of getting the gills entangled on a smaller fish
2. I doubt if you'll get 30 years out of one because the sun will deterioate rubber.
3. Even if your hooks get stuck into the net it should pull out fairly easily to pull out as it won't get caught in thread strands...
4.I've seen long handled ,Aluminum handled in Wal-Mart for a pretty good price & Cabella's has a wading length one for $39.99 in black & $49.99 for the clear, but Dick's Sporting goods has the clear one for $30.
5. depends on the length, how much you want to spend, & whether you like wood or metal..It's just a tool....
6.Depends on what size you get.
Of course this is IMHO