The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 07:53 PM

traphunter is on a distinguished road
Default Tying leaders

Hello everyone,

I am interested in tying my own leaders. I will be fishing primarily for panfish and crappie, and the occasional smaller bass. My questions:

1) What size and type of lines should I use? Monofilament?

2) How long should each line be?

3) What knot should I use to join the lines?

Thank you.
Seth
Old 04-09-2009, 07:57 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tying leaders

In my experience three things come to mind first.
What am I throwing?
How am I fishing?
What am I fishing for?

Answering the first question, if I am throwing clousers or larger flies I like shorter leaders. Answering the second question if I am drifting I prefer longer leaders. And the last question if I am going after panfish or steelhead I use flurocarbon leaders/tippets. If I am going after bass monofilament, if I am going after pike or muskie well that usually falls within braid lines and steel lines.

If I am throwing small floating bugs to pick up panfish I actually like flurocarbon lines.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Seth,

Your answer will most likely lie in the formulas provided in a leader tying kit but for the record; for use with 5 & 6wt outfits I used to tie beginning with .o21 for the butt in 22" length and then step them down as follows.

.019 - 22"
.017 - 20"
.015 - 20"
.013 - 18"
.010 - 18"
.08 - 22"

Mono with a floro tippet this will make a 10' leader you can play with the section lengths to see what works best for your casting and water types. This will give you the basic template for a hand tied tapered leader, there are a myriad of formulas to work with, I put this forward as an example only.

Practice and use the blood or barrel knot.

Ard
Old 04-09-2009, 10:20 PM

fishingfly7 will become famous soon enough

You should try making furled leaders there vary easy to make and work great. If u are intersted let me know i will help you the anyway i can.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:37 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfly7 View Post
You should try making furled leaders there vary easy to make and work great. If u are intersted let me know i will help you the anyway i can.
Great, just what I need something else to do at 3AM... I'm interested in learning how to make a furled leader.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:42 AM

traphunter is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replys everyone. Is there special leader material that you make them out of, or do you just use regular mono or floro??

I would like to know how to make those leaders as well.

Thanks for being patient with a newbe.

Seth
Old 04-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

You can use standard monofilament, Ande's Backcountry, Trilene's Big Game, and Maxima are widely used by fly anglers. There are lots of complex formulas out there, but I think you can get by just fine with a 3 section leader. For 7wt and larger, use 4' of 40# for the butt, 18" of 20#, then 3' of 12#. For 6wt and below, use 4' of 30# for a butt, 18" of 15-17#, then 3-4' of 6-8#. (If you're going to be fishing 5x or 6x, shorten the 6-8# to 12" and add 3' of the 5x or 6x)

Blood knots come out prettier, but I think double surgeons knots work just fine to build them up.

Another idea is to use the Cajun Red line for the butt section to function as a strike indicator. I've just started this myself, and its very nice limp stuff.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:12 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Traphunter & welcome to the forum.
You might want to look at the Maxima leader making kit, It's a one time larger expense but it has everything you need to get started , formulas included.. I just started making furled leaders & haven't had a chance to use them yet. I made some out of 6/0 uni thread, 4# Mono, 2# mono, Kevlar thread, & a combination of uni & Kevlar. It's almost addictive. I still have a problem with the ends & I started using a Shroub loop .......The jig is made out of a 1X6 about 8' long & I used 3/4" dowels & it is very easy to make . The other stuff you need are : cup hooks, plastic push pins, paper clips, some 2-3oz. lead sinkers, a Knit picker & a tape measure. I listed 2 sites I used to get started but I ended up using a combo of both methods. I drilled the dowel holes in the board with a forstner bit so I just tap the dowels in & I drilled a few other holes so I can experiment with different lengths.
If you have any problems ask or PM me.
Good Luck
Neil
Hatches Magazine - Making Your Own Furled Leaders
& Peninsula Fly Fishers – Furled Leaders
Old 04-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Seth,

If you want to tie your own leaders there are some basic things to keep in mind.

1. You need to start with a big enough diameter material to match the line weight. For most fresh and inshore fishing a 20lb or 25lb material is good.

2. Don't use a stiff mono for a butt section and then a limp mono for the rest of the leader.

3. Use the same mono for all parts of the leader made by the same manufacturer.

4. Use a blood knot to connect the leader parts together.

5. To start with, use a proven formula for the leader design. That is, don't just start tying leader sections together thinking it will work.

6. Use standard mono to tie your leaders. You can use a fluor tippet.

Making your own leaders can be fun for a while then it may get to be a pain. At least it was for me. Here is a formula From Lefty Kreh that you will find easy to tie and will work with fresh and salt water fishing. I think it is a very good formula to start with.

Here is Lefty's formula for a 9'6" Bass Leader. This leader can be adjusted up or down in weight to make it work for many different kinks of fishing. Just follow the basic formula.

1. Start with 4' of 25lb mono.

2. Then 2' of 20lb mono.

3. Then 1' of 15lb mono.

4. Then 6" of 12lb mono.

5. Now add 2' of 10lb or 8lb mono as the tippet.

Here is Lefty's formula for a 13' Bonefish leader. You will see it follows the same basic formula.

1. Start with 6' of 30lb mono.

2. Then add 3' of 25lb mono.

3. Then add 18" of 20lb mono.

4. Then add 9" of 15lb mono.

5. Now add 2' of 12lb or 10lb mono for the tippet.

When making your leaders don't worry about getting the measurements exactly right. If you are off a few inches it is not going to make much difference. These leaders are made so the energy is transfered from on section to the next so the leader turns over with no hinging.

If you want to make a trout leader start with 20lb and work down to your tippet.

1. Start with 4' of 20lb mono.

2. Add 2' of 15lb mono.

3. Add 1' of 10lb mono.

4. Add 6" of 8lb mono.

5. Add 2' of 6lb as a tippet.

If you wanted a lighter tippet add 3", or so of 6lb in step 5 and then 2' of 4lb as a tippet.

Frank
Old 04-10-2009, 10:20 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I always used a .021" (50lb) butt section when tying leader. In the leader
tables I have, that's an Orvis Standard trout leader. I bought an Orvis kit, and
just replace the spool as I run out. As you can see from Frank Whiton's
leader formulas, you'll run out of butt and tippet more often than the sizes
in between.

I used all blood knots for the first few years, and then switched to double
surgeon's knots for sections .011" and smaller. Lately, I've been using knotless
leaders, but not everything is peachy: if I get a wind knot, I cut it out, and
tie the leader back together; tippet grows short, so more tippet gets knotted
on, etc. So, do we ever have a truly knotless leader? I dunno.... .

Tip on Blood Knots: You can't really hold four ends with two hands, without going nuts. I use two pairs of small hemostats, and clip them on the tag ends
after they go through the yet to be cinched blood knot. Once both tag ends
are clamped, I just let the hemostats dangle, wet the knot (spit), and then
pull the leader sections. Jiggling the leader sections while cinching will cause
the hemostats to give that added tensions the tag ends sometimes need.
You can buy a tool for blood knots, but I've never used one (too cheap).