The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Will I get banned from the forum for this?

I make several flies I have to call The Boss because Boss is my dogs name. I don't post or talk about the fly because there is a steelhead pattern by the same name. Here's Boss the hair machine,

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-02-2011, 08:16 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

I used to have a cat called a Turkish Van. They are unusual in that they swim. Yeah, a swimming cat. Who woulda thunk it? I just had to try that out. Wouldn't dub worth a hoot, but it was great as tail material for crease flies.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I make several flies I have to call The Boss because Boss is my dogs name. I don't post or talk about the fly because there is a steelhead pattern by the same name. Here's Boss the hair machine,

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

YES! YES!! YES!!!! BAN!

Opps ... Bad Person - My Bad

Fred? .. That's Ard.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:17 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Last fall, a couple of girls came into the shop with a strange request. They asked me to tie a couple of flies with some of their own freshly cut hair. The flies were birthday gifts for their father. The parameters were that the flies had to be certain color combinations, and I had artistic license to do anything. I made a couple of classical Steelhead looking flies. I wish that I had pictures of them because they were some of the best works that I had done in a long time.

MP
Old 01-03-2011, 12:50 AM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

i use my lhasa apso's hair for fly tying all the time.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:05 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

We had a Basset named "Daisy". When she blew her coat each Summer, I'd comb her out and collect the soft undercoat; a very light tan color (she was a mahogany and white Basset). I use it for bodies on light colored flies, like Cahills and Caddis. It's in a zip lock bag, marked "Daisy Dub". Every time I catch a fish on one of those flies, I say to myself, there's one for Daze! She was a great dog.

Click the image to open in full size.

........guarding the house, as only a Basset can do it!

Here are the new hounds; yup, just pups, but when they blow their coats this Summer, I'm already thinking of two more bags; one black and the other white. Meet "Bogie" and "Zoe"; taking me for a very early morning walk in Maine!

Click the image to open in full size.

Nothing unusual for me about using pet fur to tie up flies.

Pocono
Old 01-03-2011, 06:19 PM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

A guy I know stops and picks up dead squirrels on the road. I assumed it was for fly tying, but have recently gotten the inclination that you might want to think twice about eating dinner at his house.

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 01-04-2011, 07:33 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I still have a wad of fur I brushed out of my Draathaar who passed 6 years ago. Great grey and red colors and very buggy.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:11 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

Fur from an overweight black lab works great for dubbing, nymphs sink like a rock.
Cabot
Old 01-04-2011, 10:40 PM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about

Like Chris,
I tied a fly with my son's hair. I managed to catch a nice 10-11" brown and I must say that probably was one of his proudest moments in life!