The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 04:14 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will I get banned from the forum for this?

Ok, I admit that I am a newbie to the world of fly fishing and just bought Charlie Cravens book on fly tying. My german shepard is looking in from the back porch door and the cocker spaniel is sitting in my wifes lap and I'm thinking... Yeah you know where I am going with this. lol

Would anybody notice a snip or two of hair missing? Is this a breach of some archaic fly fishing law? And the question that worries me most, what if the fly is a huge hit with the trout, will my wife believe me when told that her cocker spaniel has mange???

Ok boys and girls I need to hear some confessions, please don't tell me that not one of you has ever considered this.

Dave
Old 01-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I get banned from the forum for this?

Don't cut anything...just use a brush or a combthere are some great patterns tied with dog hair
Old 01-02-2011, 04:22 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Read this thread for a little information on how far tyers will go to get material.
most unusual

And welcome to the site.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 01-02-2011, 04:26 PM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about

Dog will work fine, but I prefer housecat for the smaller stuff.

the764
Old 01-02-2011, 04:51 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

In Keith Fulsher's last book, he names a couple flies after the dog's whose fur adorns the wing! Good enough for Keith, good enough for me.
Happy combing,
Gary
Old 01-02-2011, 05:02 PM

khl is on a distinguished road

I've got a cocker/golden retriever mix. One brush got enough under-fur for dubbing for about half a dozen flies.

I also clipped a bit of the overcoat for a tail a couple of times.

kai
Old 01-02-2011, 05:02 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

A couple of weeks ago our FF Club tying guru brought dubbing from his daughter's Golden Retriever. We all used it to tie the nymph pattern that he was showing us. It dubbed fairly well too.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:32 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

You might want to seek help if you find yourself combing the kids pet hamster or house mouse
Old 01-02-2011, 05:48 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Either I have been vindicated by acceptance or by the sheer number of deviants like myself...lol

Looks like I am really going to fit in with this crowd.

Dave
Old 01-02-2011, 06:06 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Either I have been vindicated by acceptance or by the sheer number of deviants like myself...lol

Looks like I am really going to fit in with this crowd.

Dave
Errrrm?

"Deviants?"

The Good News is we are the 'norm' here.