The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: What is your favorite magazine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Totally agree with the choice of "Scientific American;'' Like an old copy of National Geographic, you can open to any page .. and actually learn something.

That IS a GOOD THING.

fae
Geo is in my top picks too Fred, Great minds think....................

And for those quite times Smithsonian will work

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I subscribed for years to Scientific American. They started injecting politics into what should have been a purely science journal. I called the editor, chewed him a new butt and have never looked at another one since. Science followed the same sad path not long after. I will not touch either till they regain the ethics that people of science should have.

Therefore I vote for Fly Tyer.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:26 AM

zachl is on a distinguished road

The Drake.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:20 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I dont have a single favorite. I really like Fly Fusion and The Drake. Those are my top two choices, but i buy and read all of them at this point.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:32 AM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

Fly Fusion
Old 01-03-2011, 06:42 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I like Southwest Flyfishing and the others that come along. I am a subscriber to the Drake as well but they have a lot of weird little articles that don't really get there for me.

Ards reco of Trout...brought back memories; When that book came out my dad asked for it for Christmas. I delivered and that is one of the books that is now on my shelf with tremendous memories of my father and his passion for science, particularly fish biology.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:50 AM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

Fly Fisherman,American Angler,Drake..
Any free pubs such as High Country Angler..
Books As listed by Ard
and Landon Mayer's stuff
Old 01-03-2011, 12:57 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely not a favorite but I just picked up about 10 years worth of the old Fly Fishing magazine which was a Frank Amato publication. I've never heard of it myself, but it seems to me it must have been fazed out and incorporated into Rod and Reelwhen that magazine became Fly Rod and Reel
Most of the writers are unknown to me unlike the big names that wrote for Fly Fisherman or American Angler during the same time period.
However every issue has at least one if not two articles written by some guy named Gierach
Old 01-03-2011, 01:24 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I urge those of you who have never picked it up to give Fly Fusion a look. It is a Canadian magazine but they seem to focus on all of North America. Lots of fantastic photography and great article. A nOOb like me benefits a lot from it.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:45 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

The Cabela's catalog series. I gave all the others up that have been mentioned or will be mentioned when I gave up everything but fishing, bird hunting, and a little carpentry. "Experts" tire me..."Talking heads" bore me.
To each his own,
Gary