The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 04:04 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough
Default What is your favorite magazine?

Ok, so now that you have opened this, I do not mean Hustler or Playboy or anything of the like...

My wife wants to buy me a subscription of a fly fishing and/or fly tying magazine. Which one do you guys think is the best?

Thanks,
Forrest
Old 01-02-2011, 04:09 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of
Default Re: What is your favorite magazine?

The one that I'm always excited to see come is "Fly Tyer". It does however only come quarterly, winter, spring, summer, fall editions.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:21 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

If your into 'Ah hell, it's only money' for a subscription "Northwest Fly Fishing" is a pretty darned good read. Extreamly 'high-end' paper/graphics/photo's/etc. This thing can't be cheap to print, many of the 'Authors' are names you'd know immediately .. but the single issue price of $7.00 reflects that.

But given you opened the question, my fav monthly read is "Consumer Reports."

Bit of an 'Oxymoron,' but the first is trying to get me to spend money, the second to save money.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I would strongly recommend books that are research based studies of fish and aquatic environment type content. There is much to learn from such books and after I say a few words I'll list a few titles for you. A quick search on Amazon will reveal authors and pricing.

Magazines; You'll not rush for this one perhaps but Scientific American has always been a favorite with me. Fly fishing magazines have become an almost continuous Gear Reviews and marketing tool compared to the introduction of the original Fly Fisherman magazine in the mid 70's. Yes they always had ads from tackle companies but no where on the scale of today.

Books: Below are titles and links to the book and details about them.

'Trout' by Judith Stolz: (Editor)
Amazon.com: Trout (Wildlife Series) (9780811716529): Judith Stolz: Books Amazon.com: Trout (Wildlife Series) (9780811716529): Judith Stolz: Books

'What Fish See' by Colin Kageyama:
Amazon.com: What Fish See: Understanding Optics and Color Shifts for Designing Lures and Flies (9781571881403): Colin J. Kageyama: Books Amazon.com: What Fish See: Understanding Optics and Color Shifts for Designing Lures and Flies (9781571881403): Colin J. Kageyama: Books

Through The Fishes Eye by Clark & Sosin:
Amazon.com: Through the Fish's Eye: An Angler's Guide to Gamefish Behavior: Mark & Clark, John Sosin, B/W  Illus: Books Amazon.com: Through the Fish's Eye: An Angler's Guide to Gamefish Behavior: Mark & Clark, John Sosin, B/W Illus: Books

These are good foundation reading for those who wish to not only understand trout but as an aid in planning approach, presentation, and choice of flies and colors based on water conditions. I have found little to be gained by reading stories about someones success and seeing the pictures of far away places. However I have found that by tailoring my education to focus on my hobby I have became a good enough fisherman that the articles fail to impress me any longer. And I don't miss the advertisements a bit.

I hope you find that this approach makes sense form the prospective of a fisherman,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 01-02-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:47 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with the choice of "Scientific American;'' Like an old copy of National Geographic, you can open to any page .. and actually learn something.

That IS a GOOD THING.

fae
Old 01-02-2011, 07:03 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

I subscribe to one national (The Drake), and one regional (California Fly Fisher) magazine. In your neck of the woods there is a similar pub called Midwest Fly Fishing, I have a few issues and find it very informative and helpful. These regional rags may not have the slickest photos, but the content is good. milt.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:35 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

im a fan of all fly fishing related magazines but my favorite are "The Drake" and "Fly Rod & Reel"
Old 01-02-2011, 07:36 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Fly Tyer is one of my favorites...Not sure what's going on with Midwest Fly Fishing...

Dan
Old 01-02-2011, 08:10 PM

roryseiter will become famous soon enoughroryseiter will become famous soon enough

I am going to have to go with something free. Blood Knot seems to be popular! The newest "Blogger Issue" was just released. Might see some of your favorite bloggers in there. If not, tell me which ones you want to see next time.

Rory
Old 01-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Rory- Blood Knot is great, but my personal favorite right now is Catch Magazine! I suspect that will change, because I going to purchase a subscription to California Fly Fisher which is most relevant for me.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.