The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 06:23 PM

guadalupetrout is on a distinguished road
Default The one that got away...

First off, this is a question, not a story. Sorry to disappoint. I' more of bored cause I havn't posted in a while, so I thought I'd ask a question. I'm probably not the first to ask this, but do you have any good stories about that one big fish that got away?
Thanks for the input,
-Will
Old 01-02-2011, 09:18 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The one that got away...

I am not sure if there is another thread on this, but I will bite on this one.
Several years ago I was fishing Kings on the Nushagak River which has a huge volume of fish but the kings are generally not as big as those found in the Yukon, Kenai or Susitna drainages, but there are in some cases 10x the volume of fish. So instead of being able to keep 2 kings per season, you can keep 5 per day.

The day we arrived I managed a limit of 20-30lbs fish mostly on purple and orange coho flies on 2/0 hooks with a good amount of flash. My buddy also managed a limit of spinning gear using vibrax spinners.

The next day it clouded up and rained. I threw every fly I thought might have a chance down into that hole and got nothing. All the while watching them get stacked up on the bank by my buddy. It was frustrating to say the least.

I am not the fly fishing purist that I know some here are. So I switched over to a vibrax. Casting it upstream and stripping it right through this hole. After less than 10 casts, I managed my first fish of the day and was down 1 king salmon to 4.

20 minutes later using the same vibrax set up with extra split shot on the leader, my rod doubled over and my reel screamed as line spooled off at record speed, I managed to slow the reel down nearly busting my thumb in the process. Then this fish game to the surface it was easily by far the biggest fish we would manage to see on that trip. It took a run on me and I was quickly well into my backing.

As I managed to bring him back closer into the slower water and turned back upstream as my flyline was reaching my rod tip my nail knot failed. With my rod popping back at lightspeed I watched the fish make one more jump, all the while trailing my buddies vibrax, a 6ft 30lb mono leader and my 88ft full sink 10wt line. Being over 300 air miles from the nearest fly shop I was out of 10wt line for the rest of the trip. I still have not lived that one down.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:56 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cattails and monster bass

I was living in Northwestern Oklahoma at the time and our home was located just above a 65 acre impoundment. Normaly I would take my walks along the dam to avoid the gypsum canyon walls enclosing the upper end of the lake.

On this particular day the weather was warm and it hadn't rained for several weeks and perhaps drying the seeps enough to allow passage along the canyon walls. The lake sees heavy fishing pressure and the bass are lure shy but today I took my rod in hopes of finding undisturbed water. At times I was on my hands and knees snaking my way thru the cedar trees and brush. A boat couldn't get into this small neck because the flooded cedars choked off even the hopes of getting in with a kayak.

At the end of the channel I found one small foothold open enough to cast alongside the cattails marking the end of any open water. I discovered a particular colored hula popper as a kid that bass hanging out in cattails or weeds just can't resist, they havn't made the color for years so I paint and tie off the special tail myself.

I cast out about 3 feet from the tails and instantly I see the wake heading for my lure, I've experienced this multiple times fishing the weeds and it can be unnerving waiting to feel the tug before striking versus setting the hook on empty air when the fish explodes. The line tightened in my fingers before I crossed her eyes and immediately she turned into the weeds and I pulled hard to turn the fish. Instantly the fish lunged out of the water and my troubles began.

When she burst above the water tail walking, she hung one of the barbs from the treble hook on the stalk of a thick cattail. She was hanging half out of the water and it was easy to estimate her weight between 5 and 6 pounds. The fish weighed to much and was to far from shore to have any luck yanking her off the cattail. I sat down and began to untie my shoes when the weight of the fish out of water and its thrashing bent the hook enough for the fish to slip off back into the water.

Thinking back, I should have taken the plunge and retreived the lure as a trophy.

Dave
Old 01-02-2011, 11:27 PM

bhflyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutbhflyfisher has a spectacular aura about

Fishing on a lake here in alberta i was skunked the whole day with very minuscule rises. I then threw on a chernoble ant and started fishing it like a popper just for the heck of it and KABLAM a healthy 20" cutthroat came to hand. 4 fish later all over 18" i cast and give it 2 strips, the giant maw opens up and engulphs the fly. I play tug of war with this cutt for a good 10 mins, into the backing twice and finally got him to the side of the tube got a look at him, raised the rod tip above my head to net the fish, but as i lifted the rod... the hook came off under the lip. To date that is the largest cutthroat i have ever seen in my short life in alberta... but a rough estimate would be 27"s.

second was the biggest brown i saw, casting a double bunny to the banks from my pontoon during a float. I stripped it once and let it sink but after i let it sink, i saw a giant brown snake his way up chomp the fly. turn and head back down. I set the hook and we fought for about 10 seconds, but the amount of bend he put in my seven weight scared me. He popped off after he shot under my boat.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:23 PM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

Last June I landed a rainbow that was in the 24 inch range--probably my biggest. Of course that same day my friend Gary landed one that was probably slightly bigger. Anyway, little while later in the same hole I hooked the biggest fish of my life. I am guessing he was between 27-30 inches long.He came out of the water once and was surely bigger than the one I landed. Following suit, Gary hooked and lost a fish even bigger. He's always one-upping me, even in the category of biggest fish lost!

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock