The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 11:49 PM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough
Default Sorry it's not fly fishing, but it is our Michigan Deer Season

Should wait a couple months until the dead of winter and everybody is pretty much bored.....

2010 was a good deer season for us, pretty much everybody put venison in the freezer and I shot my best buck yet.

There is about a 5 minute slide show that recaps the season, sights, ML Camp, and our Deer on our website.

Untitled

I hope everybody had a good Christmas, a safe New Years and here's hoping that 2011 treats us all well.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry it's not fly fishing, but it is our Michigan Deer Season

Mark: No waiting here, we have had snow since Thanksgiving and I'm already bored! Great work on the video and slide show and congrats on the nice bucks everyone tagged!

Larry

Old 01-04-2011, 08:11 AM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough

I was just checking you weather the other day....we were in the 30's and it was brutal cold out your way. Will plan on seeing you next fall. Sharon and I are taking the bikes and spending two weeks riding from Rapid City across to Yellowstone, then the Flaming Gorge, into the Rockies, then back up............should be epic.

Actually everybody I know that hunts tagged a deer, excpet one, but he really didn't put in any time.

PS, congratulations on the promotion, I understand Frank pays his assistants top wages.....
Old 01-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
I was just checking you weather the other day....we were in the 30's and it was brutal cold out your way. Will plan on seeing you next fall. Sharon and I are taking the bikes and spending two weeks riding from Rapid City across to Yellowstone, then the Flaming Gorge, into the Rockies, then back up............should be epic.

Actually everybody I know that hunts tagged a deer, excpet one, but he really didn't put in any time.

PS, congratulations on the promotion, I understand Frank pays his assistants top wages.....
Mark: We have had some brutal wx so far this winter, but at least we are getting lots of moisture which will be good for the rivers next year. Hopefully, I will be home in the fall so we can finally meet up! Sorry about missing you on the last couple of trips. Your fall bike trip sounds epic! When I first started riding the bikes in YNP the entrance fee was $5/bike but the roads were in pretty bad shape (lots of pavement patches on patches). Last time I was up there the entrance fee had gone to $30 but at least they are doing some good work on the roads. Now I have the NP Senior Pass so I get in free! Yahoo!
When planning the trip over to Flaming Gorge, hwy 530 is on the west side and hwy 191 on the east side. If you only ride one of them, plan on doing hwy 530 as it has better views of the reservoir and it's red cliffs. The road south out of Dutch John (hwy 191) going down to Vernal, UT is also a great bike ride. The Dutch John area only has two motels (Flaming Gorge Resort and Red Canyon Lodge) and they both have on-site restaurants (not counting the cabins behind the Trout Creek Fly Shop, but they usually reserve those for fishermen on guided trips. The Fly Shop also has a restaurant (breakfast and lunch only). There are lots of camping in the area, but most of it doesn't have shade due to the fire in 2002. If camping try to get into the Fireman's Memorial Campsite up the hill from the dam. If you bring a fly rod, the Green River below Flaming Gorge offers great access as it is all public land and there is a walkway from the dam down to Little Hole (7 miles). Little Hole is the first take out below the dam.
With all the money Frank pays, I can retire early!
Take care and hopefully I will get to finally meet you next fall!

Larry