The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 05:44 PM

Chillmark is on a distinguished road
Default Pep Talk Needed

So without getting to psychological, let me tell you all a bit about my family.

I grew up in New England bait casting almost every day after school and all day every day during the summer. And I wasn't that bad. I usually knocked the hell out of them wherever I went.

My mentor was my Grandfather. He taught me how to fish and was my best friend growing up. He never learned to read or write to well, but he was by all accounts a very talented engineer at RPI. A war hero, he also designed and built the the moon car used in the moon landing by NASA. Most important, he could pull trout out of this keyboard if he put his mind to it. To my father's glee and my own detriment, I have tried to be as much like him as I can. I have also remembered everything he taught me about fishing.

Three years ago he passed away. He left me his old bamboo rod and a couple bucks which I invested in a fly kit. He had taught me the basics of fly fishing years ago when I was young but I never got into it. So I figured with his passing that I'd have a go.

Well, I loved it instantly. I took an Orvis course to get the basics of casting and have been working since on my cast and presentation skills. I go to the local fly shop and get their suggestions on whats biting. I read forums. I read books. I get out almost every weekend during the decent season here in Maryland (I fish primarily on the Gunpowder River).

Now here's the problem. After three years, I have brought three fish to hand. I know actually CATCHING fish is only part of it. Don't get me wrong, I love being outdoors, I love stalking and I love casting. But damn, it sure would be nice to catch them once in a while. I'm REALLY beginning to get demoralized. The economy has hit me smack upside the head (I've been downsized twice in two years), so I don't have the cash for a lesson. I am going to get involved with my local TU's mentor program, which hopefully will be a bit of a help as well.

But sheesh, when I come home day after day with nary a bite, it kinda gets me down. And to have NO IDEA what I'm doing wrong...well, lets just say IT'S FREAKING TICKING ME OFF.

Anyway there's my rant. I feel better already.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Pep Talk Needed

Hi Chillmark,

OK, no pep talk but lets see if we can't help you catch some fish. Let us know some more about where you are fishing and what you are fishing for. Also tell us about your fly rod, the wt, the length and what line and leader set up are you using. It would help to know what flies you are using and how you are fishing them. With this information we might be able to get you some fish.

Frank
Old 04-13-2009, 06:39 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not much of a Trout fisherman but I can tell you whatI've learned about flyfishing in general. SLOW DOWN. I grew up with baitcaster and conventional gear, spent countless hours hours throwing plugs on the beach. When I started fly fishing I ran into the same problem. Once I started flyfishing with other guys I realized I was doing everything too fast. I wasn't letting my fly soak enough, I was stripping too fast, I was lifting my line out of the water too fast. I wasn't until I slowed everything down that I started catching fish.

Again I am by no means a Trout fisherman but I know that very little of the techniques that I had learned about fishing applied to flyfishing.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Chillmark,

OK, no pep talk but lets see if we can't help you catch some fish. Let us know some more about where you are fishing and what you are fishing for. Also tell us about your fly rod, the wt, the length and what line and leader set up are you using. It would help to know what flies you are using and how you are fishing them. With this information we might be able to get you some fish.

Frank
OK

I fish for trout, in the Gunpowder here in MD. I've got a9-foot 5 wt rod/line setup. I use a braided leader with a regular tippet on the end (4x-7x). The total length is about 7-9 feet though I don't shoot as well with 9 feet on there. As for the flies, I usually go for whatever they recommend at one of the two local fly shops. The fish I've caught so far have been on cahills and bead heads, but I usually try several flies a day, both wet and dry. As for how I fish them, how do you mean? I generally let the underwater ones go on their own. The dries I try to get as drag free as possible.

Is this enough info?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:32 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I don't know your river conditions on the gunpowder but your definitely on the right track by going to your local T.U. chapter.
When you nymph fish it's important to get the flys down to where the fish are & to react quickly when one picks the fly up. You either have to keep a tight line to feel the pickup or use a strike indicator. Trout can take a fly, taste it & spit it out quicker than you can blink so you have to pay attention.
Switchchaser gave you good advice about slowing down. Before I go into the water I like to stand a ways back from the water & look around to see if anything is going on & to try to locate the fish, & to more or less plan how to get to where I want to fish without spooking everything in the pool...I try to wade quietly without making a wake..
For Dry fly fishing are you casting to rising fish or just casting blind at likely looking spots??. If your casting to rising fish try to get the fly in the same drift as the naturals. A lot of times it will look as if the trout are taking flies on the surface when they are actually taking flies from under the film or on their way to the surface. This is when it pays to have a softhackle or emerger pattern on hand. I like to use an Adams or a Flying Ants as search patterns .
You didn't mention Streamers sometimes they are hot & will be the best way to hook up.. Try a Woolly Bugger, Mickey Finn, Muddler Minnow or other streamer & fish them quartering downstream & let them hang a bit too.....
Anyway like you said the best part is being out there but this & the other advice you'll get from other forumm members will help you get some fish...
Tight Lines
Neil
Old 04-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

My best advice is to fish nymphs, positioned 1.5x the water's depth below an indicator, and treat that indicator like you do a dry fly: get it to drift as slow or slower than the bubbles and set when it moves up, sideways, stops or dunks. Keep adding small split shot 10" above the fly until you're ticking the bottom occasionally.

This will cause some hang-ups, but will get you down to the fish.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
My best advice is to fish nymphs, positioned 1.5x the water's depth below an indicator, and treat that indicator like you do a dry fly: get it to drift as slow or slower than the bubbles and set when it moves up, sideways, stops or dunks. Keep adding small split shot 10" above the fly until you're ticking the bottom occasionally.

This will cause some hang-ups, but will get you down to the fish.
I tried messing around with split shot once, but every time my fly landed, the shot when "PLUNK!" I figured it might be scaring the fish so I cut it free
Old 04-14-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillmark View Post
OK

I fish for trout, in the Gunpowder here in MD. I've got a9-foot 5 wt rod/line setup. I use a braided leader with a regular tippet on the end (4x-7x). The total length is about 7-9 feet though I don't shoot as well with 9 feet on there. As for the flies, I usually go for whatever they recommend at one of the two local fly shops. The fish I've caught so far have been on cahills and bead heads, but I usually try several flies a day, both wet and dry. As for how I fish them, how do you mean? I generally let the underwater ones go on their own. The dries I try to get as drag free as possible.

Is this enough info?

oh and I never really use streamers that much...never had much luck interesting fish with them, but I do sometimes use wooly buggers
Old 04-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Chill,

I sent you that info.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-14-2009, 07:17 PM

Got it Ard, thanks. I'm reading as we speak...er...type