The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 10:42 AM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough
Default Fly Pictures

I was trying to get some pics of some of my flies to post on here, and am having some problems. First of all, what should I use for a background?? I tried white paper, and stuff whites out. Tried black, but the black saddle hackles on some of my patterns would disappear wouldn't it?? Tried wood, but it was finished and reflected the flash.
Also, the silver tinsel bodies reflect the flash, how do I solve this??Thanks in advance,

Steelhead Junkie.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Fly Pictures

Hi Steelhead Junkie,

You can use several different colors. I like blue or green. You can buy poster paper at WalMart in several colors. I think black or very dark colors take away some of the detail of the fly. Black will work with auxiliary lighting.

You can use white but you need auxiliary lighting. A normal camera flash doesn't work well with any color and especially with white.

Frank

Kaufmann Blue Background
Click the image to open in full size.

Fly Shop Creamy White Background

Feather-Craft Tan Background

FlyShack White Background
Old 04-15-2009, 11:33 AM

Thanks Frank!!! But am I stuck not takin' pics of Mickies and stuff with silver tinsel bodies???? And what are the flies on the Tan Background, and are they good for steelies
Old 04-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Steelhead Junkie,

Here is something else you can consider. Make an enclosure like this photo. Then buy the two lights. Or if you have a SLR camera get you a ring flash. I have not used a ring flash for flies but I think it might be just the right thing. Talk to your local photo guy.

Frank

SP Studio Systems Mini Portable Still Life Shooting Tent.

Canon Ring Lite for close-up and macro photos
Old 04-15-2009, 11:49 AM

Thanks!! I'll definately try that The photo enclouser looks like a good idea.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:18 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Frank, Nice pic set-ups...I like light blue and green...Junkie those would definitely work for Steel...

Dan
Old 04-16-2009, 09:48 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

A bounce flash will soften colors and remove shadows. Just make sure you bounce the light off of something white as other colors will alter fly colors.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:03 AM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough

This is my homemade photo box. I took a box and cut out the sides and the top. I put tracing paper over the holes. I have one 250 watt shop light on each side. I put my camera on a tripod and set the timer. When ready to take pic I hold another 250 watt shop light over the top of the box. I also have a blue poster board background.

These are some of the pics that I have taken in that box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo box 002.jpg (87.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Foam bee Side.jpg (87.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Male Spinner.jpg (80.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg swimming caddis pupa 003.jpg (80.1 KB, 56 views)
Old 04-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Seems like it might be easiest to take the pictures outside when there's enough natural light to keep a flash from going off.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have one similar to Tammy's, except I use desk lamps and the curly light bulbs.
Recently my hubby brought home a Blue Cardboard sign. It is great because it stands by itself, so I made a three sided enclosure.
Then I add props...LOL

Plus, on the paper back ground thing, you can get some cool background paper from craft stores. In the photobook section: