The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 09:42 AM

troutslime is on a distinguished road
Default ORVIS Brand opinions

Hi, long time lurker here.... What are the opinions with ORVIS products? Superior or marketing hype? I'm in need of a new rod, reel and other goodies to replace my beginners st croix reign setup. Orvis send me a catalog every month and their stuff appears nice, but I've been burned by "pretty things" before. I'd rather purchase someting quality once than junk several times.

thanks,
Jerry
Old 04-16-2009, 10:13 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: ORVIS Brand opinions

The Orvis stuff I've had has generally been good quality. As with anything, marketing hype needs to be waded through to discern actual benefit to the consumer. I'd go to an Orvis dealer and check out their stuff. I think you'll find it priced in line with like quality.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:23 AM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

Orvis is a marketing company. The products vary in quality. I may be wrong about this, but I don't believe Orvis actually manufactures the items in their catalogue.

I wouldn't buy an Orvis rod or reel without a strong recommendation. For instance, I have read great things about the Helios rods. Reviewers and fishers seem to really like them. However, some of their other rods have disappointed.

If you're dealing over the internet or by catalogue, be sure to determine if you'll be charged sales tax and/or shipping. Because Orvis has extensive retail outlets, they often charge sales tax when other brand names can be purchased tax and shipping free. On a rod and reel outfit, this can be quite a bit of money.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 04-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

You'd do well to look into St. Croix's better stuff as well. I'm hearing great things about their Imperial line. Their Avid and Legend Ultra are proven values too.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you decided to take the plunge and join NAFFF.

What I have found over the years is Orvis makes very little of their stuff. But they offer some very good equipment. You can expect to pay top dollar for most items.

Cliff's suggestion of the St Croix Avid is a good one. If you want to move up to rods with a faster action then the Elite would be a good choice. Also the Sage Flight Is a great buy for the money. Redington also has some very nice performing rods. They are available form the Forum Fly Shop.

Frank
Old 04-16-2009, 11:21 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

ALL companies who wish to stay in business will prioritize marketing. because orvis has been around so long, you might construe they are successful. i wouldn't say they are superior, but when it comes to flyfishing gear, they have many more hits than misses. and my experiences with any misses (1) has been fantastic when dealing in person for returns or replacement.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:06 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I purchesd an Orvis Battenkill Large arber IV and a clearwater 9' 8wt alomg with a floating line and a depth charge line last summer. The reel is great, smooth, good drag, and well built. The rod is a pretty good entry level rod for the money. Havent used the sinking line yet, but the floating works pretty good, I have thrown bass bugs and streamers with this outfit and so far am very happy. I did just buy a redington 7'10" 8wt predator that I think I am going to like better then the clearwater rod though. I havnet had much of a chance to use it, but what I have I really like it. I just put the orvis reel on the redington rod a few days ago and it cast and handles great.
Bear
Old 04-16-2009, 01:02 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I do regularly fish with Orvis equipment that I procured about 10 years ago. THe bad news is that I have had to return my rod twice due to manufacture defects, the good news is that it was replaced without question or hassle.

I just got an Orvis catalog in the mail yesterday, I hadn't looked at a Orvis catalog for a few years now, so I paged thru it. I was amazed at the cost of the rods.

I know I personally don't need to spend that much on a rod to enjoy the sport.

I did just buy two Orvis flylines from Sierra Traders for $10 each. THey work fine and are a great value at that price. Not sure what they normally retail for.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 04-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Hey Jerry,
Your going to get several opinions on this subject both good and bad. I suggest before you buy any rod that you determine your needs as to what you are fly fishing for and go cast the rod at a fly shop. You may find that the rod you thought would work for you does not fit your casting style. Orvis has a great return policy on their rods and so do most of the reputable fly rod manufacturers. Do some research and read some reviews and then go try casting the one you have in mind.
Good Luck,
Terry
Old 04-16-2009, 02:34 PM

troutslime is on a distinguished road

thanks for all the honest replies, I should have included the info. that I live in southern Idaho, an hour away from Silver Creek and three hours away from Henry's Fork. Where I do most of my fishing.

Jerry