The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 09:59 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Caught a Trout Today...First in over a Month!

The local lake was frozen over, but the creek that spills off it wasn't. The stocked trout make somehow get to the stream through the spillway (although in VERY small numbers), and I managed to get one on a Green Weenie. The poor rainbow looked like he could use a meal, although he did struggle enough to put a bend in the rod. The lake's water level was ridiculously low this summer, and I assumed that they would skip stocking it this fall. The rain in October brought the water levels up quickly enough (the water was 40 feet from the banks in August!!!), but the stagnation has left the water very murky, and the rocks all have a brown algae type of growth.
Pretty sad stuff..... After catching the rainbow, I managed to get a few nice crappy, and now I'm happy again.

Yvonne and I will probably hit the Little Lehigh Creek this weekend. It's a limestoner, and freezing over shouldn't be an issue at all.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:48 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Caught a Trout Today...First in over a Month!

Congrats Frank, good to see someone else getting out during the winter and catching at least one trout. also good to hear the water levels are coming back, my two favorite lakes were at 50% before the snow started falling. We are hoping for a wet winter up in the mountains and a return of decent water levels.

Dave
Old 01-05-2011, 12:50 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I've been trying at some local ponds around me without much success. I planned on trying the fly rod the first day I went but it was frozen over so I broke out the UL gear and fished through the ice, didn't catch any but the guy fifteen feet from me probably caught 20 while I was there. Day two, caught one, albeit on spinning gear because where I was fishing from had 25 mph wind straight into my face. Finally the best day for fly fishing the bite was virtually non-existant.

Congratulations on your fish, i'd like to have some of the same luck.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Frank...glad to hear you caught one at lastwill it be enough to stop taking antidepressants
Old 01-05-2011, 01:49 PM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

Glad to hear it. Last January I had three outings with no fish. I tend to take January a bit easy and gear up for the middle of February.

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 01-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good for you Frank I am watching for the spring creek report
Old 01-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Frank: Congrats! Nice to get out on the water now that winter is setting in. I still haven't been out, but hopefully soon. This weekend I'm going to the Fly Fishing Show in Denver.

Larry

Old 01-05-2011, 06:55 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Good to hear some one is getting rid of the skunk, I can't seem to shake it off me though! Went trouting today at the infamous Amish Poachers Paradise and turned quite a few fish but none would commit. This puts me right around a month fishless! I think a sacrifice is in order!