The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 01:39 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default pike on the fly

so my new endeavor this spring is going to be fly fishing for pike, and maybe their older cousin, musky. i have recently put together a fairly decent 9 weight outfit that i am assuming will be adequate. but, as i said, totally new species to me. any and all thoughts,recommendations,flies or whatever useful info anyone would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-05-2011, 06:39 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: pike on the fly

I've never fished for muskie, but I fish with a muskie guide winters in Florida. I'd say, practice your casting. The muskie flies he uses are at least as big as those I use for sailfish.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-05-2011, 06:58 AM

p175634 is on a distinguished road

Fishing for pike on the fly can be exhilarating but watch out for those teeth when you extract the hook. Pike like to feed off the surface. I have seen them take baby ducks, frogs and voles. I have used Largemouth Bass deerhair bugs for a number of years on a large hook. On the retrieve they create a surface disturbance which attracts the pike. The kicking frog, Mice and Mouserat flies work well. So do the poppers and diver bass bugs for pike.
The Largemouth Bass Olive and White tummy Bass Bug Frog
The Bass bug Mouse
The Mouserat Bass Bug for largemouth bass and Pike
The Diving Olive and Yellow Bass Bug ideal for Largemouth Bass and Pike
The Largemouth Bass Green and White Bug

tight lines
Craig Moore
London England
Old 01-05-2011, 09:39 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

The biger the flies the better. Larry Dahlberg makes a few really good pike flies and Barry's pike fly works pretty good too. Maybe Diver Dan will be along, he know a thing or tw oabout pike fishing.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:58 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys. this will get me started in my pursuit of pike for sure! we'll see about the musky.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

This is one of my favorite things to do. The best fly ever is the Reynolds Pike fly. I tie it using a craft store heart bead for a head. When I started doing it that way, and using 5 minute epoxy on the weed gaurd, it left no exposed place for pike teeth to tear up your fly. It is bullet proof, it has a motion that drives them insane and it does not matter what color they are as far as I can tell. This is one of my favorite colors, not because they like it, they do, but because it is easy for me to see fairly deep.
Click the image to open in full size.
I tie them in a lot of colors. If you want a complete step by step let me know and I'll either PM you or post it in patterns.
I also tie Dahlberg Mega Divers. I don't think they work as well as the Reynold's Pike fly, but it is more of a thrill to see a big fish come up and nail a top water fly. I stack deer hair when I do these so they come out looking pretty fancy, one color heads, or multi-colored bands work just as good. Pike are not a real picky fish.
I have also used a kind of Reynold's/Dahlberg hybrid with pretty good results also. It has a different dive curve than the Dahlberg, but does not run real deep like the Reynold's.
I use a leader system where The butt section is 36", with a perfection loop on the end. I blood knot it to the mid section which is also 36". I then make a bimini twist. Then take the double line and clip the end of the loop. I secure the single end in a fly vise or something so it cant spin, and then furl the double line, but not to tight. I leave it fairly loose. Once it is furled, tie and overhand knot in the end so irt stays furled. I then take a piece of nylon coated steel leader and bend a U in one end. I take the double furled end of the bimini and the U in the steel and tie an albright knot to attach them. I tie the single line end of the mid section on the leader. To attach the fly I use a knot called the twist melt. It is exactly what it sounds like. put the leader through the eye, twist it up for a couple of inches and melt the nylon with a lighter. I have never had one come apart. This is a pretty good leader system, so if you have any questions, PM me or post them here. I even use a spey rod for them. I can toss big stinkin' Pike flies more than 100' every single cast with one. More fun than should be legal.

P.S. Musky are Pike's YOUNGER cousin.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:03 PM

thanks dd!
wow! the mother load! i can see that you're a bit into fly fishing for pike, just a bit. this is some extremely useful info and it is greatly appreciated. those flies look great and i, as i'm sure many others, would love a p by p on the first one.
again,outstanding work my friend! this kind of knowledge and dedication is extremely useful in a forum like this. bravo

casey

ARFE
Old 01-05-2011, 07:14 PM

riano444 is on a distinguished road

These really great streamer pike, nice work!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:42 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Firstly, Diver Dan...excellent fish! Ive never managed one the size of that hawg on the fly. Comparible one through the ice but that is another story.

I would basically echo what most everyone else has said. I cant speak for musky but I would love the opportunity to try my hand.

To sum up my experiences of successful pike on the fly....some general themes for where I fish in AK.

Barbell eyes help, flashy bright colors are a must. Pink, chart., purple, orange, red and plenty of flash. There are all sorts of variations of the Reynolds fly posted above that they cannot say no to. I generaly am using a variation of what DD posted. Although I am going to keep my eye out for the beads he uses. I like the weight the lead barbells give me but I can see some value in that shape. I can always add lead to the shank.

The way I like to fish them is generally wading or from shore. I find the weedbed especially up here the bogs with lots of cutouts and are deceptively deep are hot spots. I tend to cast along the edge trying to land 2-5 ft from the weeds or whatever habitat.

Then I like to pull the fly so the rabbit hair kind of surges. I wouldnt classify it as a twitch. I strip less than a forearms length of line fairly quickly but when it goes slack it appears to me that the fur condenses on the fwd pull and kind of expands as it comes to a rest. I dont know if this explanation is making sense.

Think of a twitch movement but more subtle.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:32 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Fly Fisherman Magazine ran an article on fly fishign for Musky a couple months ago, worth looking up. I think that was the mag and I do not have it with me right now.