The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2009, 07:10 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default If you only had 1...

fly rod that you could own and fish with, what would it be?

What make, model, length, weight and why?

I'd have to say a St. Croix Legend Ultra 9-foot, 5wt. I love how it casts and I could handle a broad span with this, although it would be overkill for some things and not nearly enough for others.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:27 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: If you only had 1...

Well
I already have 4 setups but the one that sees the most usage is my TFO Ticrx 9wt 9'. The way the weather is shaping up it will see some usage this weekend for sure. I fish mostly salt but do a little warm water because it starts about a month before the salty creatures show up. I use a Sage FLI 7wt 9' for bass fishing.I sometimes use this rod in the salt for schoolie stripers in the summer.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:53 AM

Rob11 will become famous soon enough

I have a St. Croix Legend Elite 9' 5wt. that stands up to anything, yet, offers delicacy and short-range accuracy. Can't say enough about this rod, as I wouldn't hesitate to put it in the class of my GLXs and other more expensive rods. What St. Croix has done with this rod's quality in the past year is impressive. These rods used to be considered fast +, but the redesign seems to have transitioned to a fast rating with the ability to use finesse when needed. In addition, the price point is now lower as well. The line just flows out of this rod.

So in a pinch, that would be my 1 rod choice.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:03 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Man, thats a tuff one, I may be fishing smallmouth in the morning then to another river for trout in the afternoon, then yet another place for largemouth and gill's the next day and even hybrid striper. I would say either a redington or sage 9' 6wt. I have a sage VT2 in a 9' 6wt now that is light enough for most trout and gill fishing(although a 4 or 5 wt would be more fun and better for dries) and heavy enough for bass aslong as I keep my bassbugs on the smaller side. I havent fished for hybrids with it yet, but it would probaly land one with a good reel and a long fight.
Bear
Old 04-17-2009, 08:10 AM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

Of all the rods I own,I would pick my Sage 890-4 RPL that I built 20+ years ago.This rod has seen lots of action on smb & lmb,shad,pickerel,stripers,blues,flounder and many others.I could probably fish this rod anywhere and be happy with it.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:12 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw View Post
Well
I already have 4 setups but the one that sees the most usage is my TFO Ticrx 9wt 9'. The way the weather is shaping up it will see some usage this weekend for sure. I fish mostly salt but do a little warm water because it starts about a month before the salty creatures show up. I use a Sage FLI 7wt 9' for bass fishing.I sometimes use this rod in the salt for schoolie stripers in the summer.
Same exact rod for me too. If I had to choose I would forget the Large Mouth and stick to the saltwater with my 9WT

Hey Jim, do you overline yours? I took a few cast on Wed with a Rio WF10I and it shot line like I've never seen before...
Old 04-17-2009, 08:37 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Same exact rod for me too. If I had to choose I would forget the Large Mouth and stick to the saltwater with my 9WT

Hey Jim, do you overline yours? I took a few cast on Wed with a Rio WF10I and it shot line like I've never seen before...
I use a Rio outbound long 9wt floater and a 9wt airflo ridgeline clear intermediate and both shoot really well and cut thru the wind.
I like fishing for largemouth because it gets me out there catching fish a month before anything happens in the salt.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:43 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw View Post
I use a Rio outbound long 9wt floater and a 9wt airflo ridgeline clear intermediate and both shoot really well and cut thru the wind.
I like fishing for largemouth because it gets me out there catching fish a month before anything happens in the salt.
I do the same. I picked up a TFO Axiom 7WT over the winter. The LMB have been keeping me busy while I wait for the striped ones...
Old 04-17-2009, 08:53 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

No brainer here... Winston 9', 6 weight BIIx. This rod really is a 4,5,6 and 7 weight but they don't advertise it that way!

Luckily, I don't have the very huge problem of having but one rod so they all get a workout at one time or another.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:06 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Difficult question....
The rod I use most often is my custom PacBay Rainforest 8wt.
....I could survive with that I guess