The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 07:15 PM

sgjr is on a distinguished road
Default mesh vest?

New to this site. It is very informative for me an experienced fisherman; however I'm new to fly fishing. I've seen many vests but looking for your thoughts. I'll be fishing sunfish initially. Don't want something bulky or hot. Heck, i'm not even certain what to look for folks. Any assistance is welcome. Thank you.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:50 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: mesh vest?

Guys in this area say that they prefer the all mesh vests. It can get over 100* in the lower elevations of the western Sierra's. I've got a solid material vest but plan on the next one being all mesh for local streams.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:33 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of warm water guys (sunfish/bass) don't even use vests
A lanyard to hold your tools along with a 'fanny pack' or a boat bag (or big pockets) is pretty much all you need
Old 04-18-2009, 11:17 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough

Cabela's -- Columbia® Cool Creek Mesh Fly-Fishing Vest™

I have this vest many pockets and keeps me cool hope it helps
Old 04-19-2009, 06:31 AM

rowdy will become famous soon enough

Get both!! The Fanny Pack & the Mesh Vest.
Get a size larger Vest so you can put it on over a jacket for cool weather.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:51 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I hate vest even mesh ones for warmwater fishing, wich I do alot of. Usally your on the bank or in a boat so when its hot, your hot. Thats the one plus about troutfishing in the hot weather, at least your standing in cold water.
Anyway I use a mayfly lanyard with my tools and a small fly box. If I am in my boat I use a gear bag for extra fly boxes and stuff, If I am walking around a pond I use a shoulder bag and when I get to the pond I just set it down on the bank, fanny packs work great to if you arent carrying a whole lot of stuff. If its not real warm I even use my chest pack at times.
I belive you'll enjoy it, catching bass and gill's on a fly rod is a blast, but then anyfish on a fly rod is fun. Wait untill your bream fishing with a light rod and 4lb tippet and a 4-6lb bass eats that little bug or popper,
Good luck
Bear
Old 04-20-2009, 09:59 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
A lot of warm water guys (sunfish/bass) don't even use vests
A lanyard to hold your tools along with a 'fanny pack' or a boat bag (or big pockets) is pretty much all you need
I use a lanyard and a fishing shirt with good pockets. Handles all I need in most situations. I have a mesh vest, and like it, but probably haven't worn it a half-dozen times. If out for an extended period, I add a small daypack for rain gear, snacks, etc.

Sep