The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 11:59 PM

CraigK is on a distinguished road
Default inflatable vs drift boat vs jon boat

Greetings from South Africa.

This is my first post and I am hopeing that some of you could offer some insight to my dilemma. I often fish the Vaal river for yellow fish and wade the rapids or use a float tube in the deeper slower areas.

Often I would like to be able to drift away from the "crowds"and fish a quieter section of the river AND RETURN TO MY POINT OF ORIGIN with my son or a friend hence my dilemma.

Most guys use an inflatable (there are not many “over the counter”choices here) with a 30 lbs trolling motor as some areas are “green areas”and no gas engines are allowed . There are some minor rapids to contend with but nothing to serious (or not where I go anyway) .

I was wondering what the best (?) solution would be as I am not overly fond of inflatables and would like to use the boat on still waters as well.

Regards

Craig

P.S: Weight is not really a problem as I take a trailer for my gear and launching would be from the river's edge
Old 04-19-2009, 02:06 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: inflatable vs drift boat vs jon boat

Craig

First off welcome to the forum. We hope you will stick around and report on the fishing in your part of the world, we would definitely like to hear about it.

Here is my take on your situation. A jon boat is used primarily in lakes and streams with soft water, no real rapids. A drift boat can be used on lakes and streams with rapids of class II and III. A raft could be used in both situations and gives you the capability to handle bigger rapids. The various manufacturers of drift boat construct the boats of various materials. The first drift boats were made of wood, then came along aluminum and fiberglass and now some are using a polyethelyne material (the same material used in kayaks) and some are using the polyethelyne material as a layer on the bottom only as a protection from rocks. Aluminum gives you low maintenance and good protection from the rocks but if you drift rocky rivers, over time the bottom gets dented up and the metal boat will be hot when the wx is warm and cold when the wx is cold and the metal will make noise when hitting rocks. Fiberglass is much quieter when hitting rocks and doesn't get as hot or cold with the wx changes. Over time you will need to repair the gel coat on fiberglass boats especially if you are drifting in rocky streams. Now some manufacturers are building boats out of both aluminum and fiberglass, composite boats to take advantage of the best features of both materials. Another thing to consider in drift boats is high side or low side. Low side boats are designed to minimize the wind pushing the boat around but you might not want to take a low side drift boat down a class III rapid. There are numerous manufacturers of drift boats but the two major players are Hyde and Clackacraft.

Larry
Old 04-19-2009, 06:28 AM

rowdy will become famous soon enough

I use a Kayak..Old Town "Twin Otter".
Old 04-19-2009, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Craig,

Welcome to our new member from far away South Africa. A little more information would be helpful. Are there Crocs or Hippos in the waters you fish? What type of inflatable is used? Is it a pontoon boat or an inflatable raft.

A Jon boat is a great knock around boat that will take a lot of punishment. It doesn't drift in a river very well unless you can use a motor to steer it. The flat bottom makes it hard to row, paddle or steer.

An inflatable pontoon boat is easy to paddle, row or steer but it is not as tough. The material can be cut or torn on sharp objects. In most situations that is not a problem. They are very maneuverable and excellent in rapids.

The drift boat is a great all around boat but is high budget unless that is not a problem. Is there a dealer in your area that sells drifts boats. They are easy to row and steer. They are also very responsive and excellent for rapids.

Frank
Old 04-19-2009, 08:50 AM

Gentlmen,

Thank you for your valued input and confirmation that a jon boat will not do. Some of our rivers are quite rocky i.e. when fishing in the Vaal you do what is known as the “Vaal shuffle” and a shin is a devise used to find hidden rocks, holes etc.

Larry, what do you mean by a raft?

Most guy's use inflatable kayaks or 2 man dinghies fitted with a trolling motor. We do get the moulded sit on top kayaks here (quite expensive though) and unfortunately no drift boats or none that I know of though I suppose you could have one built by a local boat builder or do it yourself if you were able to.

It looks like I will have to do a bit of surfing and find a drift boat plan, one that I could put a trolling motor onto and build one.

Any suggestions ?

How difficult are these to build?
Old 04-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Craig

When I referred to raft I was talking about an inflateable with a rowing frame. Something like in this link;
NRS 14' River Cataraft

or something like what is shown here:
NRS - Kayaking Gear, Rafting Supplies and Boating Equipment

Here is another option (just replace the gas engine with an electric motor and battery): CraigCat Official Website || Homepage

Or as Frank mentioned getting a pontoon boat which are extremely popular here in the US. In your case you would want a two man boat similiar to this one: http://www.orvis.com/store/productch...ds*4489&bhcp=1

Larry
Old 04-19-2009, 11:12 AM

Thank you, we do get the pontoon boats here, though I have never seen one go down a rapid.

Regards

Craig
Old 04-19-2009, 11:40 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Check out a good canoe. We do alot of river fishing from one and have went into some small rapids and over very small waterfalls in them. You can get a sqaure stern for a trolling motor or get a side mount for one. They arent as stabile as a raft or drift boat, but a wide bottom model is pretty stabil.
I have fished and even shot ducks out of one all my life.
Bear
Old 04-19-2009, 12:36 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

This post got me interested in an inflatable for taking my boy fishing in the little marina (Sparks Marina) here in Reno. so, jumped on Craigslist and found a guy selling a sevylor HF360 - 12foot inflatable raft. He wanted $40 for it, but it was missing an oar and he did not have the pump.

Well, I bought it for $30, ordered the oars, motor mount and a coleman rechargeable inflater off amazon for another $60 (had a $25 coupon) and looks like my boy and I have a fishing raft for under $100.

I have a minn kota 28lb thrust trolling motor and sears marine battery on my 14 foot aluminum 1957 crestliner commodore speedster (another story for another day - only paid 150 for the boat and trailer and sold the trailer for scrap for $75)

In any case, this raft supposedly seats 6 - though I don't know how - has 5 chambers, and is in pretty good shape (have it inflated in the back yard now)

I am sure you can buy a ton of accessories for it, but the bottom line is I have a raft for the marina and to float down the truckee river (not sure if I want to do this yet)

Dave
Old 04-19-2009, 01:08 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Not to hijack this thread or anything, but I will let you all know how the boat performs once I get it on the water. Just have to figure out how to secure the battery now, and wait for the motor mount

Dave