The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 01:34 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Earth Day

Earth Day is coming up on Wed the 22nd and this Sunday being the last weekend day before it I will be bringing out a bag to collect trash as I hike the river. I don't know about where the rest of you guys and gals fish but on the Truckee you run into a lot of garbage. I encourage all of you that can make it out to the river, bring a bag with and help with the conservation of our great planet.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earth Day

Good idea, I'm headed over to the Green River, UT on Wed so I will be sure to take a bag with me. This will be my first trip over there so I don't know how much if any trash there is but if I see any I'll be sure to pick it up.

Larry
Old 04-19-2009, 11:32 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I found a point that was coverd with trash on one side. It's right adross some cliffs that people dive and swim around. All their trash gets wind blown onto this point. I am takeing two or three big black yard bags this week one day and filling them up. Hopefully I'll get a day that the wind isnt blowing to hard to ty my boat to the rocky bank. I always pick up trash and try to do a few big clean ups a year, once a year just aint enough.
Bear
Old 04-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Bear

Good point, I think I will just start carrying one of those black plastic bags with me when I'm out in the boat so I will be prepared when I see trash blown up on the shore, doesn't take a minute to clean things up if you have a bag with you at the time.

Larry
Old 04-19-2009, 01:08 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Larry, i likethe idea your going out of your home waters and still going to pick up trash.
What drives me crazy about the lake here is that the last few years the loca lmarina owners and others have pushed to make this a PLAY lake instead of a fishing lake, (even though two state and world records have came from it) it is pone of the prettiest lakes I have ever seen, and its the "play on the lake people and those here on vaction) that trash worse then anyone. But anyway,,,,,,, LOL
Bear
Old 04-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Pack,

Excellent post! All you trash gatherers can take it from an old hand at this, go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get yourself a box of 'Contractor' trash bags. They will be a bit spend'y but they will also haul out a load without tearing and spilling all the stuff you gathered.

Very cool post for the Packster,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Bear

This post reminds me of one time my wife and I were fishing the Kenai River out of Soldotna. We had a motorhome at the time and had rented an Avon Raft with a 25 hp engine from the mwr folks at Eielson AFB. We had found a spot in Soldotna where you could launch your boat and at the same spot you could park your motorhome for $10/day and you were right on the water. It was just a great spot to spend some time fishing and relaxing. The land was private property and we were fishing for Silver Salmon and primarily fished from the boat, but on a couple of afternoons I just fished from shore. Once you got back into the brush I was amazed at the amount of trash people had left behind. The wife and I spent some time picking up trash but there was so much you could have been there a week and not picked all of it up. Just amazed me how some people can be such slobs.

Larry
Old 04-19-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Bear

This post reminds me of one time my wife and I were fishing the Kenai River out of Soldotna. We had a motorhome at the time and had rented an Avon Raft with a 25 hp engine from the mwr folks at Eielson AFB. We had found a spot in Soldotna where you could launch your boat and at the same spot you could park your motorhome for $10/day and you were right on the water. It was just a great spot to spend some time fishing and relaxing. The land was private property and we were fishing for Silver Salmon and primarily fished from the boat, but on a couple of afternoons I just fished from shore. Once you got back into the brush I was amazed at the amount of trash people had left behind. The wife and I spent some time picking up trash but there was so much you could have been there a week and not picked all of it up. Just amazed me how some people can be such slobs.

Larry
Sad aint it! You know though, again like the keeping to many fish thing, if we had more conservation agents out there it would make a big impact. Most states jsut do not have the budget for that.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:59 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Went out for a few hours, netted a few fish and brought out a few bags of trash. It was a good day!