The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2006, 07:08 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough
Default tooth proof leaders

my question has to do with leaders designed for our toothy friends. most of the lakes i'll be hitting with the new 8wt contain alot of out toothy friends. so i'm planning on using a steel or tooth proof leader. my question then has to do with my braided leader connector. can i use that with a steel or tooth proof leader?
Old 02-19-2006, 07:20 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: tooth proof leaders

You can buy 8" - 10" wire pieces that attatch to the end of the leader and then to the fly
Old 02-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Yes... a quality bite tippet or shock tippet will work just fine for you. The good stuff will allow you to tie any conventional knot including a loop on the butt section for a loop-to-loop connection. Cortland's "Toothy Critter" steal leaders will certainly do the trick.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Hmmm, when you say "braided leader connector" do you mean you're fishing a braided leader with a loop on the end of it to which you attach a mono tippet, or do you mean you have a braided connector on the end of your fly line you use to attach leaders to?

If you're fishing a braided leader, then I have no idea what to recommend for a toothy critter leader.

If you're talking about a braided loop on the end of your flyline, then I see no reason why you couldn't use a standard leader with a bite/shock tippet at the end of it. (a shock tippet is a short section of very heavy monofilament or fluorocarbon to which the fly is attached. The other end will be attached to a section of much lighter mono (12-20#) that gives you a "breakaway" section that allows you to keep from breaking your rod. This type of set-up is SOP for Tarpon fishing.)

If it were me, and I was expecting to need the steel leader only occasionally, I would get some of the premade pike/barracuda leaders from Cortland or SA. Its a full length leader, and can be easily attached via a loop to loop connection.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:17 AM

the braided leader connector is from cortland and attaches on the end of the fly line.(darn new med's)

most of the lakes contain walleyes. a few however contain pike and muskie. which i'm planning on going after one or the other or all three. will have to check into the price for some pike/barracuda leaders from steve.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:33 AM

going to revist this one. just bought some TYGER TIE-ABLE LEADER from walmart. i attached about a 2' piece onto about a 6' piece of 10lb berkley mono. i then made a blood loop knot to attach onto my braided leader connector. i used a nail knot from the 10lb mono to attach the leader to. my question has to do with the matter of wether i did this correctly or not?

as far as castability i just took it out and was hitting at about 60-65' consistently. had trouble with my new dog and the wind. the wind more than anything. it seemed to perform good in casting and even seemed to help my cast alittle bit.(maybe just my imagination)

as far as the leader material i got that at walmart. the specs are: 10 feet, 49 strands, .019 diameter, and 30lbs. test for about $9.

haven't attached a fly on it yet but once i do i'll post a follow up as to how well that works.