The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 10:26 PM

travelerbrad is on a distinguished road
Default questions about fishing northern Cal. in June

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and am already impressed with its comprehensiveness and activity level.

I live in Kansas and am a member of the Free State Fly Fishers affiliated with the Federation of Fly Fishers, Southern Council.

One of my sons and I are planning a trip to the Trinity-Shasta area the last two weeks of June, specifically the Trinity River and Redding area.

I've been getting mixed messages regarding the wadeablity of the rivers in the area during the late June period. We can't afford a float but would rather wade anyway. Additionally, I read that most of the rivers in the area are quite crowded and access is limited, except for the Sacramento River.

It will be an expensive trip made more so if these estimations are true. I have phoned a couple guides and get quite a rosy picture, which I hope is true, but validation from you all would be reassuring.

Thanks for any help you could give us.

Brad Bransky
lawrence, Kansas
Old 04-20-2009, 08:20 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: questions about fishing northern Cal. in June

Give this guy a call, he guides on the Upper Sacramento and other N. Cal. rivers. If it were me I think I would go for the Upper Sac. or the Mccloud for your June trip.
Spring Creek Flycraft and Guide Service | Upper Sacramento River
Hope this helps,
Old 04-20-2009, 11:32 AM

Thanks Fly Dog,

I will call him this afternoon.

Brad
Old 04-20-2009, 12:03 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Check out the Pit River, Hat creek and the Upper Sac. The Trinity that time of year wouldn't be that much fun IMO. There are a few good lakes in that area that are fun too.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:43 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

not meaning to start a war, here's another guide:

Wayne's Home Page

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi travelerbrad,

I think The Fly Shop in Redding will be a great source for infomation or guides.

Frank
Old 04-21-2009, 04:01 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

If you want updated conditions of a lot of waters in that area go to Fish First! Northern California Fly Fishing. It will give you some ideas on where to go.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:48 AM

Packfancjh, Thanks for the link the the Northern California site - lots of good information. I have read the Pit and Hat are usually very crowded and have very limited access. Why would the trinity not be much fun. I found this article about the Trinity and the Trinity Alps which makes the area sound wonderful,

Trinity Alps Streams.

Packfancjh, Flydog, Ezamora, I have called The Fly Shop and they were consistent with my experience when asking for information from guides and fly shops which provide guide services whom usually give rather rosy evaluations and are hesitant to give up much information if they think you are not going to hire their services. Of course, given the vagaries of our sport, providing specifics can come back to bite you. The questions I am asking are, Generally how is the fishing in the Trinity Alps and Redding area during the last two weeks of June, are the access points on area rivers usually crowded at that time of the year. I have read all the rivers you recommend here with the exception of the Sac are crowded, have limited access and one needs to get to the access points of the McLoud very early or you will not find a parking place, and finally, is wade fishing possible that time of year?

Is the above article a valid portrayal of the Trinity Alps?

Thanks for your help.

Brad
Old 04-27-2009, 11:13 AM

MontanaMoose will become famous soon enoughMontanaMoose will become famous soon enough

Hello travelerbrad, ezamora has it right...I know Wayne personally and you will have the fly fishing experience of a lifetime, guaranteed.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
Old 04-27-2009, 11:19 AM

IMO the best fishing to be had on the Trinity is Steelhead fishing and in June there aren't many steelies in the river at that time. I have caught very few other species of fish in that river so to me it's not the best choice for trout fishing. The Pit can be crowded at times but if you can get out during the week at all you shouldn't have a problem finding spots. Same with Hat Creek. I would also look into the Upper Sac, lower Sac and the Mcloud. Manzanita Lake is fun too. Lots of big Browns.