The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 09:29 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Added a short stick to the arsenal

Hey guys, I picked up a Gold Cup (basspro) 7'9" 7WT on Ebay for $40 last week.
I've read a few threads where some of you use shorter rods in tight places and I figured I would be able to use this on the largemouth. Took some adjusting to since it loads differently than my 9' 7WT but after about 20 minutes of casting I had a handle on it and I'm a huge fan now.
Thanks for the info guys.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:43 AM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Added a short stick to the arsenal

I've added a 6'3'' 3 wt. for the small, overgrown creeks I fish in the Driftless Area (MN & WI) and the Ozarks. Don't know if it's a frivilous toy or a useful tool, but I'll find out.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 04-20-2009, 10:02 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have two 6'6" rods, one a 3/4wt, the other a 6
I use the lighter one a lot, probably more than any other of my trout rods. Small streams with tight cover.
My 4'9" rod on the other hand never gets any exercise ...it's just too short.

Last night I started wrapping a 6'9" 9wt for SW fishing from the kayak.
I've had trouble in the past fighting and landing large fish seated that low to the water. I think a short stout rod is going to help out
Old 04-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Hey guys, I picked up a Gold Cup (basspro) 7'9" 7WT on Ebay for $40 last week.
I've read a few threads where some of you use shorter rods in tight places and I figured I would be able to use this on the largemouth. Took some adjusting to since it loads differently than my 9' 7WT but after about 20 minutes of casting I had a handle on it and I'm a huge fan now.
Thanks for the info guys.
Sounds like a very handy rod, hope it serves you well.

Btw, many bass on Staten Island?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:32 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Sounds like a very handy rod, hope it serves you well.

Btw, many bass on Staten Island?
Thanks Cliff,
actually more Bass than most people are aware of . I can think of atleast 6-8 ponds and lakes in Staten Island that I've pulled Bass out of over the years. The Largemouth and Pickeral keep me busy until the saltwater heats up, then its game time
Old 04-20-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I have two 6'6" rods, one a 3/4wt, the other a 6
I use the lighter one a lot, probably more than any other of my trout rods. Small streams with tight cover.
My 4'9" rod on the other hand never gets any exercise ...it's just too short.

Last night I started wrapping a 6'9" 9wt for SW fishing from the kayak.
I've had trouble in the past fighting and landing large fish seated that low to the water. I think a short stout rod is going to help out

Will the 6'9" make it around the front of the yak?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:53 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Will the 6'9" make it around the front of the yak?
Sure..easy...
12' "yak...... 6'9" rod.
inches to spare
Old 04-20-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Sure..easy...
12' "yak...... 6'9" rod.
inches to spare
I've been contemplating a kayak for two seasons now. This might be the year for one. I'm sure the wife will love that purchase...
Old 04-20-2009, 11:10 AM

I've had my kayak for 10 years now.
Best fishing related purchase I ever made
... it's all about the fun factor
I've always had a canoe and they're a good fishing platform, but with the kayak it doesn't matter if you get skunked....it's just so much fun just toolin' around.
I bought mine used..... not too much pain
Old 04-20-2009, 11:45 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I just picked up a 7'10" 8wt Redington Predator and love casting it, hopefully this week I will get to fish it. Before if it wasnt 9' or longer for a haevy wt rod I wasnt interseted, big mistake I think.
Bear