The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 01:26 PM

dresch is on a distinguished road
Default pontoon versus float tube

Would like your preference of float tube over small pontoon boat for small lakes and tailwater . Or the opposite pontoon over float tube. I might be hiking it in a couple miles or less.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: pontoon versus float tube

Hi,

I have a couple rafts one is big and a the other is one man model. The tube will allow you to maintain your position better than a raft in many situations. When there is even a little breeze I either have to anchor a raft or just fish wherever the wind takes me. Trying to juggle duties between oars and rod is no fun at all. If you are not planning to float down any rivers or cross a large still water I would have a float tube.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresch View Post
Would like your preference of float tube over small pontoon boat for small lakes and tailwater . Or the opposite pontoon over float tube. I might be hiking it in a couple miles or less.
The main difference on hike ins between pontoons and float tubes is weight and size. And the frames on Pontoons can be a problem, But, that has changed. I have a 9' pontoon that weighs 28 lbs. No frame so can fold up is need to, but usually standing in front of the seat, grabbing the foot bar and pulling it up so the seat is resting on shoulders. Piece of cake even for weakling me.

I just don't see the advantage to tubes anymore. Price I guess is a big selling point.
I just like the idea, that I can kick if I want, or I can row.
I am talking about North Fork Outdoors.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

dresch,

I would take Joni's advice on this because I am sorta out of touch on the current market.

Joni,

As usual I am in the dark about new stuff that is on the market. Your boat sounds like the ticket.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

The Renegade is a little bit of $ but Dave will bend over backwards for you.
It is by far, the coolest boat out there these days. I love it!
Old 01-06-2011, 03:15 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

my brother was looking at one of those new cross over boats, very cool, but spendy and way overkill for my needs. my fish cat 4 tube works great for what i'm doing (me-il ~ bro-ak). so i guess it boils down to what your going to be doing with the boat and how many greenbacks your willing to throw down.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Dresh,

Small lakes and tailwaters cover a lot of ground. I would use a tube in a small lake but not in most tailwaters. So If you are fishing rivers (tailwater) you would be much better off with a pontoon or a boat like Joni is suggesting. Rivers require oars for maneuvering. Most people who use pontoons also wear flippers to add with controlling the pontoons attitude.

A pontoon can also be used on many lakes up to pretty good size. A tube can be a real problem on a small sized lake if the wind comes up. In some cases you have to go with the wind to make shore. You could end up on shore a long way from where you put in, even across the lake.

Frank
Old 01-06-2011, 04:19 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I love the looks of the Renegade X5. Have to start saving my pennies now....
Old 01-06-2011, 08:14 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

What about the Outlaw Avenger single seater? I have been thinking about getting one because I like the idea of being able to stand up while fishing. Any comments on this boat.

Dave
Old 01-06-2011, 08:54 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dresch,
I am sure that you are aware that the International Sportsmen's Expo at San Mateo was cancelled. The ISE at Cal Expo, Sacramento is still on for January 20-23. Dave Scadden will be showing boats and taking orders. Dave will also have booths at the Fly Fishing Show at Pleasanton on February 25 -27.

I use both float tubes and pontoon boats. My pontoon boat is used mostly for rivers although I take it onto lakes when I need to cover a lot of water.

MP