The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 11:28 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another Great Vintage FF'ing Film....

Here ya go: CLICK HERE I love seeing these older films, and posted one a few weeks ago.
It's interstesting to see that "old" rod load when Dieckman casts.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:20 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Another Great Vintage FF'ing Film....

Neat!! I see he keeps the bass like everyone did back then.
The rod looks like a very slow action and heavy rod.
But....... clean water, abundance of fish, and nobody else fishing there.
I wish I had a time machine.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 06-08-2009, 06:43 PM

Rob11 will become famous soon enough

BUMP

Frank, thanks for this, I am happy these videos are available, as it brings me back to fly fishing with Leave It to Beaver, and I don't mean that as a bad thing. I grew up in the 50s and 60s, and this is epitomizes the lifestyle, approach and technology present during those decades. Keeping the fish? We all did it, because we ate them!

The greatest part of this video is the fiberglass rod technology and how it loads. Verrrry Slllloooowww. The other thing I noticed is his Joan Wulff classic form in the beginning of the video, and the graduation to the Lefty Kreh "elbow on a shelf" approach to distance casting. The fascinating part is that no method is wrong, they're simply applied for the right circumstances.

It's funny, since I have only graphite rods (bamboo on the horizon for a 4 wt.); yet, I'm starting to gravitate towards the medium action rods like the ZXL (just picked up a 9' 5 wt.) due to its ease in casting and reserved power. The fast rods force me to be very technical, but I want to easily lay down a soft dry fly AND be able to reach out there when necessary. I'm starting to move to medium action rods with a good power curve to give me the best of both worlds. This video is the other extreme of easy-casting rods, and I find myself heading in that direction. Anyone else notice a similar trend? Or maybe I'm late to the party?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:02 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I like how his application of the haul starts where most today say it's best, later in the stroke.
Still, that 12:00 and 3:00 stuff cracks me up. I bet the guy who eventually beat him as world champion discovered stopping the rod makes the line go!
Old 06-08-2009, 08:19 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rob,
I was into fast, and then bought what I thought were moderately fast
rods. It wasn't until my first bamboo rod arrived that I found mod. fast graphite is
pretty stiff compared to bamboo! The bamboo is a Lew Parks 7' 4wt, and
casts superbly. It's not a noodle by any means, but is much more alive than
any graphite rod I have. The second Lew Parks rod (7'6" 4wt) should be here
tomorrow. I love the stuff!
Old 06-08-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Hi Rob,
I was into fast, and then bought what I thought were moderately fast
rods. It wasn't until my first bamboo rod arrived that I found mod. fast graphite is
pretty stiff compared to bamboo! The bamboo is a Lew Parks 7' 4wt, and
casts superbly. It's not a noodle by any means, but is much more alive than
any graphite rod I have. The second Lew Parks rod (7'6" 4wt) should be here
tomorrow. I love the stuff!
I haven't been aware of the newly built bamboo rods and how their performance compares with graphite. How does their pricing compare with graphite? Are we talking higher than top of the line Sage or Orvis graphite prices? I'm not trying to pry, just want an idea of how much my curiosity might cost me! PM me if you'd prefer.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:03 PM

Here's the first bamboo I bought: CLICK HERE Lew's feedback says it all!
The rod casts like a dream, and looks fantastic. Lew sells most of his rods
on ebay, with a Buy it Now price of $889, but most seem to be able to get
in below that.

There are other rod builders selling rods in the same price range, and you
can get their names on the Classic Rod Forum. Len Codella's website has
lots of new and used rods that are priced from $300-$3,000. There's an
Orvis on his site now that looks very tempting for around $650. Lew Parks
has two other rods on ebay, and they look nice as well.

EDIT: Here's the rod that will be arriving tomorrow: CLICK HERE I didn't meet the reserve, but I bought it from Lew anyway. My wife absolutely
loves the 7' 4wt, and we can't be fighting over one bamboo rod all the time .
Old 06-09-2009, 06:34 AM

Frank, thanks for the details, and that is one beautiful rod. For that price, I believe you've got a classic that fishes great. I'm looking for another 4 wt.. as I have a graphite medium action in 8'. I want a soft, accurate 7' 6" rod that can go from small tail waters to spring creeks for trout. The bamboo is a serious option. The graphite definitely has its strengths at certain weights, lengths, objectives, and under certain conditions. I paid no attention to bamboo until you and others started posting about its virtues. I'm now better educated and need to look more closely.