The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 09:43 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about slimming down . . .

Ard, You don't need to slim down. You look pretty good already.

I used to carry several of the half zillion flies I tied, and bags of knotted leaders. Most of the time, I only use 2-3 different flies, so I stopped tying everything under the sun. Once that was over, I started to carry fewer flies, but felt a little naked for a while. I've cited Lefty Kreh's article about flies from a few years ago before, and he says that for trout he carries para Adams and para Cahills (covers light and dark drys), GRHE and pheasant tail nymphs, Muddler Minnows, and Woolly Buggers. He says that he can catch trout anywhere in the world with just those flies, and would pick the Woolly Bugger if he were only allowed one pattern.

My vest includes a few extra leaders now, spools of 4X-6X tippet, nippers and hemostats, and some floatant. I have a little pocket that wet (wet with water) flies get tossed into, and since I usually forget to take them out, I just reach in there when starting a new fishing day. That means that I often never touch the couple of fly boxes I carry.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:11 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Click the image to open in full size.

Dude,
I hope you weren't freeballin' in those waders. I bet that water can get cold.

MP
Old 01-07-2011, 10:30 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

COMMANDO STYLE!!

ARFE
Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Click the image to open in full size.

Dude,
I hope you weren't freeballin' in those waders. I bet that water can get cold.

MP
There's a thought I could have went my entire life without. Thanks....:
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 01-07-2011, 12:57 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

now to convince my wife to go out like that with me.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:19 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo7b View Post
"what's the least number of flies you have or would take fishing"
Well I have taken ZERO flies on at least two outings, of course there was much cussing and such all the way back to the house after finding them on the dinning room table where i had left them.
LOL. Been there, done that. More times than I care to remember. Now I leave a box of flies in the glove box at all times, so at least I've got something.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I just caught up with this,

We seldom get really warm but almost every year you can run into high 70's and bright sun that will be on you at 9 Am till 10 PM so it can get warm. The very next morning you wake up and it is only 48* and it begins to rain before you break camp. There is nothing you can count on but when the sun actually shines we soak it in because there aren't a whole lot of opportunities to do so. What you don't do is 'wet wade' the river in the picture is fed by a glacier and it never gets warm. It really isn't a small river I fish the same areas every year and know where the gravel bars are at, in the picture I was almost all the way across from where we parked the boat. Jeans and socks under those old LL Bean Wicked Tough waders, Commando

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-11-2011, 03:31 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

years ago when I lived in Invercargill and fish the Maturua, Oreiti, and Apramia rivers, (sometimes a few from the catlands for a treat) I use too have 6 flies, small dads favorites (#16/18) brown mayflys most are in NZ which is why most of what I tie is brown for mayflies, greenwells glory wet flies, coch y bondhy nymphs (its realy a wet fly with a tail) and drys, I had an adams but it never got fished, White bait streamers similar to the grey ghost, and peverile o'the peak.

This was when I had too pay $3 per fly, and didnt tie my own, now I have more than I could ever hope to fish and yet I keep tying them

as for leaving flies behind I have trouble remembering to birng boxes I have taken out to restock

Even forgot my rod once in such a hurry before my wife changed her mind with an off the cuff you should go fishing

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 01-11-2011, 08:56 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I gave up on fly boxes while wading years ago, after losing about by 5th box of flies, that last time to an outgoiing tide instead of some river.

When wading, I now carry a half dozen flies in my shirt pocket; smokes, lighter, reading glasses and paper towels inside my hat. A small spool of tippet and clippers in my pants pocket, and a hat light clipped to my hat brim.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-11-2011, 12:56 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Liked your first post on this subject Ard, almost a written picture of most of us, and the last line was great

"Between you and me; I catch more fish now because I'm not busy looking for the magic bullet, I get it done with what I have."

Rick