The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 10:17 AM

gordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura about
Default Polarized Sun Glasses question

What brand have you found to be of good quality and use in the UNDER $50.00 price range ?

Name brand .. Big Box store .. mail order ... personal preference ?

I know there a few dozen styles out there to choose from .. but each company will have several styles to choose from.

What have you had good luck with ?

Thanks!

Gordon in NC
Old 01-07-2011, 10:30 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Polarized Sun Glasses question

Hey Gordon in NC

Personally I suffer from an affliction... that is, the more expensive the sunglasses I have, the quicker I will lose/break them! So for the last 5 years I have gone for polarised lenses that are reasonably priced and look good...

With lense quality I have never had a problem with any of the cheaper brands that I have tried, and my eyes don't like cheap lenses normally, but the polarised glasses have been good to me.

These days when I need a new pair I head to Walmart and find a pair of polarised glasses that I like. The only thing tho is the best style for fishing are the types that totally wrap around and reduce the amount of light coming in. Those can be trickier to find, and if you are sight fishing a lot find those ones somewhere... but I still use the $20-$30 ones and I am happy with them... I use them for everything and not just fishing...

Hope that helps,

Nick
Old 01-07-2011, 11:21 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

My two bits...

Don't waste your money. Spend $300 and get a pair that stops UV from burning your eyes out. You only have two eyes and a lifetime of fishing in the sun.. If you loose glasses get a teather.

The bennefits are... Your eyes are protected and you see more fish.

I love Maui Jim ($400 for the prescription kind with Bifocals)
Smith was my favorite ($170)

Sorry... WalleyWorld glasses don't work for me.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Theres two things I never go cheap on what I put on my feet and what I use to protect my eyes!

That said I still typically never spend full price on almost anything unless for the type and quality of item it is the full price is considerably less than other brands of the same quality!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:34 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i've always been a big fan of smith sunglasses. great quality and pretty decent price not to mention a rock solid warranty.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-07-2011, 02:08 PM

cnanoski has a spectacular aura aboutcnanoski has a spectacular aura about

Costa 580s all the way... best I have ever used, just a fine product, and a great US company that cares about conservation and sustainability of the sport.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:20 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

I have been using Suncloud glasses lately. They are about $60 retail, but I have found them for closer to $40 online. I really like them.

Gary
Old 01-07-2011, 03:30 PM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

I wear only Maui Jim's...
Grey lens for sunny days
HT lens for really cloudy days and at dusk
Bronze for driving + when the water I am fishing is really green...

Maui Jim's sport line is quite affordable at $150ish...
Old 01-07-2011, 08:03 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

I got some Coyote brand polarized sun glasses for work that i was pleasantly surprised with, i think in the 50 dollar range
Old 01-07-2011, 09:01 PM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road

I have been getting mine from Big 5 sporting goods for the last 10yrs since there is a store in town. I get Bolle or Body Glove glasses when they are on sale for 30.00 to 40.00. They make some nice wrap around designs for fishermen and different colored polarized lenses to suit your taste.

I have a nice pair of grey Bolle and a nice pair of amber Body Gloves. The BGs are a little larger and work better with my flip-up bifocals.