The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 04:02 PM

kap10 is on a distinguished road
Default I need some help with Rod selection.

Hi there,

My name is Kyle, I am looking to purchase a all around rod for Salmon, Steelhead, Brown Trout, Landlock Salmon, LM Bass, and Atlantic Salmon.....Thats alot. I live in Montreal Canada, And am fortunate to have alot of great Salmon and Trout fishing within a few hours drive from me. I will be fishing the Au Sauble, Salmon, Cascapieda And other rivers in the North East U.S. and South Eastern Canada. I also grew up In Smithers, British Colombia and My family all lives in the Smithers, Kitamat, and Terrace area so I have the Chance to Fish the Bulkley, Kalum, and Skeena rivers quite often.
I know Spey rods are really popular on the Northwest rivers for Steelheading, but I'm not quite ready for that. I would like something which is well rounded single hand for the fish and rivers I have mentioned. As you can see I'm a little confused as what to get. I have been doing alot of reading and Im looking for a rod on the budget end $150-$300. I know this may be a little "too general" but any input from you guys would be very appreciated.
If it helps, I have a 6wt 9' Amundson rod now for Trout and Bass small Steelies.

Thanks

Kyle
Old 01-07-2011, 06:04 PM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I need some help with Rod selection.

It looks like you are going to want an 8 wt for the species you mentioned, one with a good fast action for casting the bass poppers, an 8 wt should be strong enough to handle the salmon. A good one to look at would be a sage flight it retails at $340 but I'm sure you can find one cheaper online somewhere or maybe on ebay.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Kyle,

Welcome to the forum. If you are chasing any King Salmon I would look at an 8 weight for the heavier fish of course you can go 9 or heavier but for an in the middle rod an 8 may do. I will not make a brand recommendation because there are so many but price will be your guide. My fishing buddy from back east landed many kings up to 32 pounds using an Orvis Green mountain #8. These rods were the bottom price that the company offered in the 90's and his handled those fish with no problem.

If you use weighted flies, sink tips, or weight on your leader I would pay less attention to high end rods because once you start slinging weight a rod is a rod unless it is too soft, so med fast with enough backbone for salmon is the target. All other fish can be handled if it will take a 35 pound king.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-07-2011, 09:52 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

An eight weight should do the trick.

MP
Old 01-08-2011, 10:12 AM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

The Salmon dictate an 8. Take them out of the equation and i would buy a 6. Perhaps a cheep 8 like a Cabelas three forks and a good 5 like a St. Croix, Sage, or Orvis would leave you better off all around. You could get two good TFO rods and be within your price limit.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:04 PM

kap10 is on a distinguished road

I already have a 6wt 9' amundson rod and reel. I think i will add a 8wt now and maybe a 4wt later on down the line