The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Reel advice?!? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/90869-reel-advice.html)

Cool Hand Hodge 01-07-2011 08:33 PM

Reel advice?!?

Looking for a high quality durable reel to go on a six weight rod that will be used for trout, smallies, and some smaller steelhead. Im looking at the Orvis Battenkill and the Scientific Angler System 2l. Any reason to buy one over the other? Looks like they are the same price, so which has the better drag and what would be more durable?

Hardyreels 01-07-2011 09:34 PM

Re: Reel advice?!?

You know what I'm thinking........................Gotta be a Hardy you would like :D If disc drag is not absolutely needed an old Marquis #7 would work for that. They have a really strong spring and pawl check with an exposed rim for the hand. If you are not into kings these make a nice multi duty / species reel with old school good looks.

Had to say that,

Ard

wonderfulremark 01-07-2011 09:36 PM

a friend of mine uses 3 SA system2 reels.. for his 4/6/8wt. he loves them
easy to clean and plenty of drag even for some winter steelies..

raindogt 01-07-2011 09:42 PM

IMHO, you can't go wrong with either....

The Battenkill seems to have a more dominant usage on this forum-- likely for regional reasons-- If this were a UK forum, the opposite would likely be true.

This being said, you'll probably get many more 'yay's' for the Orvis-- and I'd be happy with following those 'yays'.

Both have disc drags (I think), Capacities are hard to gauge as System 2 has all those models-- I assume you are talking the smaller 78? If so the SA has slightly more capacity for backing/ line.

All in all: a wash-- either are dang fine reels.

MoscaPescador 01-07-2011 09:56 PM

I would err towards the Orvis. I like that the aluminum was machined rather than cast.

MP

caseywise 01-07-2011 09:59 PM

check out the new orvis access fly reels.

Cool Hand Hodge 01-08-2011 10:08 AM

truthfully this is for a friend of mine just getting into the sport. I think he will likely go with the orvis as its a name he is familiar with. Ill keep you all posted as to his decision. We still haven't got the rod weight locked down yet!

Hardyreels 01-08-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderfulremark (Post 190537)
a friend of mine uses 3 SA system2 reels.. for his 4/6/8wt. he loves them
easy to clean and plenty of drag even for some winter steelies..

Hi Mark,

The older System 2 reels most be a 'Dark Horse' candidate for their quality. I hadn't been aware of them until the past week when I had placed 2 of them on my watch list on eBay just to see what they sold for. The larger reel 8/9 went for $240 and the smaller a 5/6 sold for around 150. Considering the number of bidders and the final prices at sale they must be highly sought after.

Good call on those,

Ard

Shane Stroud 01-08-2011 03:03 PM

I'm the resident cheapskate, so here' my plug.

I can't believe nobody mentioned the Pflueger Medalist. They're great on a 6 WT. Not expensive by any means, but reliable, versatile, and darn near bullet proof.

If someone were just starting out, and just wanted to get their feet wet (yeah, bad pun) a reel like that could significantly cut their initial costs.

araitim 01-08-2011 03:15 PM

what about the Alpha from Allen Fly co? i hear they are hard to beat.