The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 08:33 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about
Default Reel advice?!?

Looking for a high quality durable reel to go on a six weight rod that will be used for trout, smallies, and some smaller steelhead. Im looking at the Orvis Battenkill and the Scientific Angler System 2l. Any reason to buy one over the other? Looks like they are the same price, so which has the better drag and what would be more durable?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Reel advice?!?

You know what I'm thinking........................Gotta be a Hardy you would like If disc drag is not absolutely needed an old Marquis #7 would work for that. They have a really strong spring and pawl check with an exposed rim for the hand. If you are not into kings these make a nice multi duty / species reel with old school good looks.

Had to say that,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-07-2011, 09:36 PM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

a friend of mine uses 3 SA system2 reels.. for his 4/6/8wt. he loves them
easy to clean and plenty of drag even for some winter steelies..
Old 01-07-2011, 09:42 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

IMHO, you can't go wrong with either....

The Battenkill seems to have a more dominant usage on this forum-- likely for regional reasons-- If this were a UK forum, the opposite would likely be true.

This being said, you'll probably get many more 'yay's' for the Orvis-- and I'd be happy with following those 'yays'.

Both have disc drags (I think), Capacities are hard to gauge as System 2 has all those models-- I assume you are talking the smaller 78? If so the SA has slightly more capacity for backing/ line.

All in all: a wash-- either are dang fine reels.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:56 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I would err towards the Orvis. I like that the aluminum was machined rather than cast.

MP
Old 01-07-2011, 09:59 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

check out the new orvis access fly reels.

ARFE
Old 01-08-2011, 10:08 AM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

truthfully this is for a friend of mine just getting into the sport. I think he will likely go with the orvis as its a name he is familiar with. Ill keep you all posted as to his decision. We still haven't got the rod weight locked down yet!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderfulremark View Post
a friend of mine uses 3 SA system2 reels.. for his 4/6/8wt. he loves them
easy to clean and plenty of drag even for some winter steelies..
Hi Mark,

The older System 2 reels most be a 'Dark Horse' candidate for their quality. I hadn't been aware of them until the past week when I had placed 2 of them on my watch list on eBay just to see what they sold for. The larger reel 8/9 went for $240 and the smaller a 5/6 sold for around 150. Considering the number of bidders and the final prices at sale they must be highly sought after.

Good call on those,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-08-2011, 03:03 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

I'm the resident cheapskate, so here' my plug.

I can't believe nobody mentioned the Pflueger Medalist. They're great on a 6 WT. Not expensive by any means, but reliable, versatile, and darn near bullet proof.

If someone were just starting out, and just wanted to get their feet wet (yeah, bad pun) a reel like that could significantly cut their initial costs.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:15 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

what about the Alpha from Allen Fly co? i hear they are hard to beat.