The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 11:45 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: waterproof digital camera

The Pentax really can take a beating. Mine has a dent in the front of it from dropping in on a rock accidentally and it still works great. It also takes pretty darn good video underwater too.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:38 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just got the Pentax Optio W90 for Christmas and can't wait to get on the water to see how it works. Currently you can find it online for around $200.

My son has the Pentax Optio WS80. 10 megapixel, waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof like the other Optio models and takes great pics. You can find it around $100 to $120 online (try thefind.com). Here are some sample shots. If these are any indication, then my 12.1 megapixel W90 ought to be stellar when in use.

Click the image to open in full size.

Kelly.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:44 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

The Pentax is a wonderful camera. Another option to look into is the Canon D10. its also a very nice underwater robust camera. I have been thinking about a W90 now, since they shoot HD video as well.

here is a good review/test of a couple of the unerwater players.

'Waterproof' Camera Group Test (Q2 2009) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-10-2011, 03:34 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I have an Olympus 8xx it's worked very well. Had it over 2 years, never a problem, but I've read reports people have had issues with water tightness.

Over Xmas, my wife got a Fuji 12Mp camera for $129 at CostCo.. nice small size, haven't tried it yet, but great features and price.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:47 PM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road

I picked up a Fuji XP 10 last spring for around $120 on sale (my budget was pretty limited). Waterproof, freezeproof, schockproof. 5x optical zoom, 12.2 mp. (same one as dhayden?). I took a few hundred pics with it last year but am still learning it. It takes good pics both underwater & above. Not as good out of the water as my more expensive camera, but that's to be expected right? All in all it's been a good camera for the money & I would recomend it. As dhayden said, very compact & lightweight.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."