The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 11:50 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default waterproof digital camera

so i have a dilemma,
i love shooting pictures of my/our hiking,camping, fishing outings etc. i, however do not, love hauling around my canon slr digital.
for one thing, it's big and it's heavy. and another would be, if i i ever dropped that sucker, well...lets not talk about that.
my question is if any one has used or has any knowledge of a good waterproof digital camera. something small that would fit in my vest,say 3x7 or so. resolution should range from 8 mp to 12 mp. but the compact size is the key here.
any recommendations,links or input will be greatly appreciated.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-08-2011, 12:10 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: waterproof digital camera

I've been using these cameras for a few years now and am very happy with them.

Buy.com - Pentax Optio W90 12 Megapixel Compact Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom, 2.7" LCD, Waterproof, Shockproof, Image Stabilization, Black
Old 01-08-2011, 12:21 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

+1 on the Pentax Optio W90.

I did a lot of research before asking for one for chistmas. The only waterproof/shockproof, etc camera that get's better reviews for picture quality is the Canon D90, but it's a larger camera.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:50 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Look at the Olympus Stylus Tough series of cameras. Two buddies of mine have them and love them. Waterproof to ten feet I think and shock proof from ten feet. 12 MPs I think, and about $200.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:54 AM

dmabe is on a distinguished road

I know you said you were looking for a camera but you should try the Kodak PlaySport 1080p HD Digital Video Camera. It's waterproof up to 10' which is great for those underwater releases. It only takes 5mp stills but the video is in 1080p HD. There are a lot of reviews on youtube.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:26 AM

Walter1023 has a spectacular aura aboutWalter1023 has a spectacular aura about

I just bought the Kodak HD Sport last week specifically to take some high def videos this coming season. I only had a chance to videotape inside a few days ago....and it looks good on the computer. You can film in 1080 if you intend to view of your HD TV, 720 if you plan to view on youtube and for fast action/sports.....they even have a black/white mode and a setting for underwater video. I saw a video online a guy took while snorkeling in mexico ...he filmed the fish he was watching. Pretty amazing for $140 - current sale price. And it seems like it can easily fit in a vest pocket.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:45 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I haven't used it personally, but I hear a lot of good things about the GoPro, and the sample pics and videos on the site are pretty impressive.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 01-08-2011, 09:33 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Pentax Optio - I have one, takes underwater pics, waterproof, great little cameras, fits in a vest pocket. I also have a canon digital SLR 1dMKII and a ton of lenses - if I am shoointg a job, sporting event, etc the canon gets the nod.

The pentax goes with me when I fish, camp, hike, take the kids to the pool, etc.

d
Old 01-08-2011, 09:47 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmabe View Post
I know you said you were looking for a camera but you should try the Kodak PlaySport 1080p HD Digital Video Camera. It's waterproof up to 10' which is great for those underwater releases. It only takes 5mp stills but the video is in 1080p HD. There are a lot of reviews on youtube.

I looked at those.

They are very cool as a video camera, but as a camera for use while fishing they have one big drawback, they only focus down to 40". Try holding your camera 40" away while trying to take a pic of that big fish in your net.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Mudbug, Troutdoorsman and Webrx.........Pentax Optio!
Early last year while fishing I dropped my old Canon S230 in the river and I went looking for a waterproof camera, finally decided on the Pentax and have been delighted with it's performance ever since. On the water it fits nicely into a shirt pocket for easy access and at the tying bench has a great macro capability for taking close ups of flies.

Larry