The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 08:37 PM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road
Default outfit for 5' fiance'

hello everyone,
my fiance' was farting around in the back yard with my redington redfly2 8'6"
5wt and other than the usual beginner looping cast's she has the concept down, she was saying she would prefer a shorter rod and i remember reading (and experiencing) the oposite is desired for a beginner rod, anyways rambling, i was wondering what a good setup would be for her as she is tiny, i also want to spend no more than 200-250 for a rod, reel, line setup. i love the redfly but feel it might be to fast for her at this stage of learning. any input would help alot thanks and tight lines everyone.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:25 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: outfit for 5' fiance'

I wouldn't say a beginner should have a shorter rod. Quite the contrary.
Take her down to a fly shop and have her try the rods there. We can make suggestions, but ultimately it's her choice. One man'/woman's ceiling is another man's/woman's floor. That's why so many rods with so many tapers.
And if she's your fiance, for hell's sake don't skimp on the rod or line!
Old 04-23-2009, 09:36 PM

LMAO
thanks MOJO, i do agree with you there as i want her to have a sweet setup that leaves her or my teachings as the only downfall, not cheap equipment. the only problem is the flyshops around my area are gander mountain and they have these heavy theft protection devices on the rods and they make the nicest avid (i know mid level rod) seem cumbersome and cheap, while asking the fishing department worker if they had a casting area he looked at me like i wanted the money in the register and said in a pissy voice we dont do that here? well that leaves traveling to prarie du chen cableas or owatana mn cabelas. and thanks for the clarification on the rod length issue, she wants to go to the bighorn river this year so i want to get her prepared for the wind and size of the river.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:37 PM

Ronnie z is on a distinguished road

Look under gear reviews Fly goddess gave one of the rods a good review.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

One of these could be a good fit- Topwater Outfits Get the 8' 5/6wt with a 6wt line to make casting easier for now. You can switch off to a 5wt for delicate presentations later if needed.

Edit: Ok, I have to chime back in with a disclaimer regarding Albright's shipping charges, because they are ridiculous. They give LOTS of options, but starting at $19 FOR A SINGLE REEL? Just to check, I checked shipping on a spey rod to see how ridiculous it was going to be. Speaking of ridiculous, it turned out to be less than the reel, by a little. I spent 4 years in box shipping and their pricing is just goofy.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:42 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
One of these could be a good fit- Topwater Outfits Get the 8' 5/6wt with a 6wt line to make casting easier for now. You can switch off to a 5wt for delicate presentations later if needed.
Could be the ticket. If she like the way the rod casts. Is Albright sold in fly shops Cliff? Honestly, I don't think I've ever noticed.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:47 PM

thats not a bad setup. thanks for the advice guys i want her to like the sport not do it because she wants to make me feel good.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:55 PM

Ronnie z is on a distinguished road

Albright makes a good rod go for the A5.I have two of those rods a 4wtand 5wt.For the price they cant be beat.If you gonna go Cabelas,go for the Lo tech.Those rods are fantastic.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:52 AM

right on thanks for the insight guys, going to gander mountain today to get material to tie her some flies and get her a C&F threader fly box. hope i get some time this month to get to the trout streams i fished before i joined the navy. have a great day guys, screaming reels and tight lines.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:04 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

shorter people do not need a shorter rod. bad misconception. so you are right on this one. savor the moment. these are rare enough in life: when you get to be right and your woman has to accept being wrong.

also, i agree that a fast rod is a big mistake for a beginner. so you are two for two!

now, she probably has small hands if she's only 5' tall. and that is an issue you should consider. there are some women's rods with reduced size grips. and expert lady casting instructors like carolyn parker and char bloom will tell you this really makes a difference. (both ladies are also petite, orvis-endorsed, and joan wulff casting instructor school grads)

my wife and i did a TON of research and field testing of women's fly rods and equipment a couple of years ago. and our top pick close to your price range is the elkhorn ladies line. admittedly, it's probably $100 more than you mentioned for the rod and a repsectable reel and good line, but it is worth it to do it right if she really wants to fly fish. it's a progressive taper med-fast rod that is more medium than fast when compared to say a tfo pro series or echo or redington crosswater. it's about x2 the cost of the redington crosswater, about $50 (max) less than the tfo, and about the same as the echo at around $200.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist