The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 01:28 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Delicacy of the 6 wt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Hodge View Post
I ended up convincing him to pick up a 5 and a 7...hes good now...
Good job! But if he get's the creekin' bug, he'll need a three weight. Life is rough.

MP
Old 01-11-2011, 01:50 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I creeked with a 8'6 5 wt for a while...Just choke up and master the roll cast! I think I have found my limit in rods recently. 7' 3wt, 8' 4wt, and 9' 5 wt. Unless I pick up Steelhead fishing I have all of my trout and smallie needs met in three rods. I'm sure I could get more technical, but three is plenty for me.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:19 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Good job! But if he get's the creekin' bug, he'll need a three weight. Life is rough.

MP
And a four, I do wish he would of started with a six.

Rick
Old 01-11-2011, 02:34 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I would have gone 4 and 6 if I only had two. I can do 90% of my trout fishing with the 4 wt, can do the other 10% and bass with the 6 wt. I think almost anything that a 3 wt is necessary for I can do pretty will with a 4 wt. I am beginning to think that the 3 wt is superflously light; just an ultralight fad that kills too many nicer fish in July and August.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:02 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

The real short 3's ie...6'6 and less are real handy for some of the U.P brookie streams that are 5-10 feet wide...just handy for getting through the woods is all. A four weight in the same length would be just as good.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:06 PM

I havn't been to the UP for a few years now. I would definitely be taking the 7' 3 wt, and probably be wishing it was half a foot shorter. I do remember those small streams. East branch Tahquamanon, etc...
Old 01-11-2011, 09:26 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Oh heck with it. He needs one of everything.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 PM

riversnorth will become famous soon enough

For Michigan a 6 wt is a great rod. Pitching streamers for bass & trout its perfect & a good rod for beginners for dry fly fishing. if he has the $ I would recommend buying a 5 wt & a 7 wt-that covers the angler better for multiple species.
http://www.riversnorth.net
Old 01-11-2011, 10:29 PM

304rodco has a spectacular aura about304rodco has a spectacular aura about

I would say a 5 weight is a better choice. Not too small for smallies either.

www.304rodcompany.com
Old 01-12-2011, 01:23 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Oh heck with it. He needs one of everything.
I'm with you on this one!

Rick