The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 10:04 AM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about
Default Delicacy of the 6 wt?

I'm helping a friend of mine buy his first fly rod and want to get the weight right for him. He will primarily be fishing trout here in Mi. with some small mouth bass mixed in. I would say 70/30 or 80/20 trout to bass. A gent at the local Orvis store recommended a 5 wt. as it would be better suited to the trout. I would have thought that a 6 would be better as it is suited to both very well. Perfect for bass and trout in my mind. What are all of your thoughts? Can a six weight be effective on eastern trout water? I really don't have a dog in this fight, but i want my friend to have the right tool. Keep in mind, this will be a do all rod for him, as hes not the kind of guy to get into equipment. There could be an odd trip to the Erie tribs for steel, but that would be once every couple of years or so. Keep in mind, the fish down there are under 10lbs for the most part and he wont be down there regularly.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:22 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Delicacy of the 6 wt?

What it comes down to is which delivery system do you want. I am not familiar fishing Eastern US waters, so you will have to figure out what size flies that he will be using. How small will the trout flies get? How large will be the bass bugs? If you can figure those sizes out, you can figure out the rod.

I have a fast six weight that I use with large dry flies and streamers of varying sizes. It can throw smaller dry flies, but it I would rather use my five weight for that.

There are some six weights with moderate actions that could benefit your friend.

MP
Old 01-08-2011, 10:25 AM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

We use some big bushy dries for the hex hatch, and some smaller 18-22 for bookies up north. I fish a lot of the 16 adams as well as humpies in the same size. We also use 8-12 streamers for the smallies and trout. As far as the poppers, not that big really, but i dont fish them much so i wouldnt be the best to guess.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:23 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Darned interesting question. And I'm sure 'we' could get a lot of: over this one.

For me the split between a five (and down) and a six (and up) is fly size/fish size driven. Add to that: still water or moving water fishing. If the flies (normal) are going to be size 8's and smaller and the fish 3-4 pounds (and smaller) the lighter rod may be the better choice .... save for one thing.

The water you're fishing. A light rod will take on a pretty healthy sized fish in 'still waters,' but in a stream flow? There you need enough rod to 'put the wood' to a running fish. Idea being get the fish into the beach as quickly as you can for release. There a six weight is by far the superior rod.

I will also say there's one major exception to the above (that comes to mind anyway)... that's a 5wt 2-hander Spey rod. With the extra length/heavier butt section you can really reef on a good sized running fish.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:26 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

My primary rod is a 6 wt and love the size, i really do not have any trouble throwing small flies nor big ones, and for the bass your friend might occasionally want to throw some big streamers that just wouldn't be possible with a 5.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Cool Hand,

If he is going to be a one rod fly fisher then the 6wt is a good choice.

Frank
Old 01-08-2011, 05:19 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have lots of ideas. Your friend could get a fast 5wt, and use a 6wt line to toss the bigger stuff. A Sage Flight/Z-Axis 5wt is just as capable of casting a big bug as a Sage ZXL 6wt, for one example. My wife fished a mod-fast 6wt for everything a couple of years ago, and never had a problem. She did quite well in fact. Another idea would be a fine trout rod in 5wt, medium fast, and a bargain 6/7wt for bass. With trout being the primary prey, it would seem silly to make a compromise for occasional bass fishing. My summer fishing is for both largemouth and smallmouth, and I've often felt over-gunned, but rarely under-gunned. I caught a really hard-fighting smallmouth casting streamers on an 8 1/2 foot 4wt this past Spring. I have a $50 Browning 6/7 wt that I use for bass fishing from my canoe, but mostly on trips where the lakes are choppy. In fact, I had a Cortland GRX 9' 6wt that was outstanding as a bass rod ($79 new), and that fell over the side of my canoe a few years ago. I loved that rod: stealthy matte black finish, and a cool graphite reel seat insert.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:58 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

There really is not a true standard as what is a 6wt or 5wt rod. You could get some good information on the CCS test sight. You just may find a 5wt or 6wt rod with the performance you like within the testing.
I have had 5wt rods which performed better with line around the 6wt. Again I had a 5wt that performed much more similar to a 4wt.

http://www.superbob.org/CC_Data.htm
Old 01-08-2011, 07:02 PM

I guess the way i see it, the 6 is perfect for the smallies, adequate for the occasional steel, and great for most trout situations. The only real question that remains is how well can a med/fast 6 throw small drys say 18-24. Passable? I never fish anything that small so i have no idea!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:21 PM

eatapeach1965 is on a distinguished road

I'd go for the 6wt for it having 'a bit more if needed' . The right rod would be sensitive enough to throw about anything I'd think.