The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 06:11 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough
Default Need Help With Flies:confused:

I am taking a vacation somewhere around Maine this June(or thereabouts)and need advise on flies.I have the ability to tie, and tied up some Mickies (Micky Finns) with a red yarn butt and Peacock Herl toppin', and some Pheasant Tail Nymphs, and Adams, along with wih some Parachute Hares Ears,
all about #12-#16.I can whip up some Hares Ear Nymphs, but I dred those flies, and prefer to shy away from them.Oh Yeah! I also tied both regular and Squirille Spruces. Any advise?? I'm really hopin' on Brookies, but since trout are prized to me, I'll take advice on any type of trout.Come to think of it, don't they have Smallies up there.....
Old 04-24-2009, 09:16 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Need Help With Flies:confused:

Wherabouts in maine are you heading???? I like to fish streamers up in " Down East" Maine . I have pretty good luck with the Black Ghost, Grey Ghost, Green ghost, Barnes Special, Oatman Brook Trout, Dr. Oatman.& The American are my favorites. Actually any of the Rangely Style streamers work well.
Ck out This Site....Streamers - Raske's New England Streamer Page - Global FlyFisher for patterns....

For Dries you might run into some late Hendricksons so tie some in 16"s & 14"s, Elk & Deer Hair Caddises in the same sizes. Bring some Stimilators for Stonefly adults for when they are active laying eggs & some nymphs also in various sizes. I carry a box of various body colored Comparaduns & Parachutes . Bring some Black flying Ants because they are daysavers sometimes..

Hares Ears, Zug Bugs, Prince Nymphs, Bead head Caddis 12- 20, in shades of green , Copper Johns, Pheasant tails & such nymphs are also good.
Bring some Emergers & Soft Hackles. & a few midges, The Zebra midge works well

Not knowing exactly where your heading I just basically described what I carry in my vest & over the years I think caught trout or Landlocks on most of the flies I listed...

For Bass I fish Hair poppers on the surface, early in the AM or at dusk & during the day streamers. & weighted Woolly Buggers & Muddler Minnows.. I once caught a 21" smallmouth on a deer hair mouse & the next cast to the shoreline a 6 incher took it so anything goes.

Anyway I hope this jumbled mess of info helps
As They Say
Tight Lines
Neil
Old 04-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good advise Fishn50,

I have only one thing to add. Go to REI and buy Jungle Juice bug repellent. There will be Black Flies! They make mosquitoes seem like a blessing.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-25-2009, 06:35 AM

Thanls guys!! Guess I need to get a few more materials....Hmmm.... Would a Parachute Ant work in place of the Flyin' Ant.... I've been lookin' at those and am gettin' the materials soon(hopefully). I will have to check out getting some repelent \ HardyReels. Thanks foe the advise
Old 04-25-2009, 07:57 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I have only one thing to add. Go to REI and buy Jungle Juice bug repellent. There will be Black Flies! They make mosquitoes seem like a blessing.
June, huh

Maine Nature News - Some questions and answers about black flies in Maine

http://www.mainecampsite.com/blackfly.html
Old 04-25-2009, 08:54 AM

Oh Boy........looks like I'm goin' up against some Big little problems Thanks for all the help!! Keep it comin'
Old 04-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Good advise Fishn50,

Ard
Oh yeah they can be a problem. I learned the hard way. You can take my word for it. If you plan to stop in NY. for maybe a shot at fishing the Ausable the little buggers are all over the Adirondacks also.

I have found that trying to cope with them by using "Nice Lotions" does not work. The Jungle Juice that I mentioned works. Yes it has DEET in it, but it works.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-26-2009, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the help!!! I'll be checkin' out Jungle Juice soon!!!! Oh Yeah!!! Fishn50, that site was really helpful!!!