The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 07:57 PM

NorthStar is on a distinguished road
Default Stupid Noobie Question, Saltwater vs. Freshwater?

I'm heading down to Tampa in a few weeks for a week of fishing with a buddy of mine and his grandpa. Not sure if we will get the chance to actually fly fish but if I do will I need a different type of line than the one I have now (444 floating rocket taper)? Or since it will only be a couple times can I get by with a thorough cleaning of the line after I'm done? Or am I missing something completely here that makes saltwater fishing different from freshwater?

Thanks for the help,

Nick
Old 04-25-2009, 07:21 AM

SkipS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stupid Noobie Question, Saltwater vs. Freshwater?

Your 444 line will do just fine.I fished Florida for years with standard WF lines with no problems.If you were in the Keys with your line laying on the deck of a flats boat all day in the sun,a tropical line would be the way to go but for your needs,the 444 is fine.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, what Skip said. I'd just add, make sure you wash everything down in FW after a day in the salt water--- Rod guides, handle, reel seat, and give the reel a good soak (take the spool off and dunk the spool and frame), or give a good spritz with a hose..

You shouldn't need to do anything special to the line, it's more the metal parts of the rod and reel that are subject to corrosion, and sand /grit getting in the reel guts. Soaking the flyline (on the reel) with a hose or a soak in freshwater should be fine.

Good luck down there!

mark
Old 04-26-2009, 08:53 PM

NorthStar is on a distinguished road

Thanks fellas, I'm getting more and more excited each day that passes.