The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: Which Dry Fly?? (Pick Two)
Adams 19 33.33%
Elk Hair Caddis 18 31.58%
Royal Coachman 3 5.26%
Kaufman's Stimulator 2 3.51%
Griffith's Gnat 4 7.02%
Black Gnat 0 0%
Light Cahill 1 1.75%
Parachute Hares Ear 4 7.02%
Joe's Hopper 4 7.02%
Chernobyl Ant 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 04:56 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough
Default What Dry Fly

If you had only two dry flies, which would it be???? Mine would be an Adams and a Elk Hair Caddis. They've been around for a while, and unless they're good, they fade away. Also, They represent the two major species of "bugs", Caddis, and Mayflies.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:04 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Which Two Dry Flies??

I picked the Adams and it wouldnt let me pick another, but it would probaly be a Stimulater, in the right colors those things can imitate so mnay diffrent bugs from caddis to hoppers.
Bear
Old 04-25-2009, 05:07 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What Dry Fly

eah, I'm not quite sure whats up... Maybe I set the poll wrong. Can an administrater help, or did I screw things up for good
Old 04-25-2009, 05:13 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Dude dont feel bad I couldnt even figure out how to start a poll LOL
Bear
Old 04-25-2009, 07:07 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I asked our instuctor (tying and FFing since the 1950's) a similar question in class. If you could only carry five............? The two dry flies he named, Adams & Elk Hair Caddis. The others were nymphs. He later added an Ant (dry) for the western Sierras.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:38 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

The parachute Adams is my "go to" dry fly; no matter where I'm fishing. In sizes #14-#18 I don't think it can be beat as an all-around top water pattern.

EHC is my #2 and is actually my top pick when I'm fishing a dry/dropper rig; which is the predominant rig up here in the Poconos in the early Spring. EHC just will not sink!

Today there was an incredible Hendrickson hatch going on, so my fly of choice was a parachute female Hendrickson (although I also tried a male Hendrickson - Red Quill - for awhile).

Unfortunately - skunked at the Hendrickson party!
Old 04-25-2009, 10:16 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

I could only chose one, but if i could have chosen two of the listed flies, I would have chosen Parachute Adams (ok, "parachute" wasn't listed but Adams was ) and Elk Hare Caddis.

If I wasn't limited to the flies in the poll, I would have chosen Parachute Adams (#1) and Royal Wulff (#2).
Old 04-26-2009, 12:36 AM

KRD will become famous soon enough

EHC and Cher Ant
Old 04-26-2009, 12:44 AM

DSFlyman is on a distinguished road

Parachute adams is my number one, Elk hair is two, and The Griffiths gnat comes in third.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I went with Adams, and would have to pick the Lt. Cahill as a second. Since they are small I would try to smuggle in a few #18 or 20 blue quill too.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;