SAGE 5wt ZXL

colotrout

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've developed an affinity for slower action rods. My favorite rod used to be a 2wt TXL but I no longer own it. I also have a ooo TXL which is a fun rod in the right conditions. I also own a 3wt z-axis. I do really enjoy that rod now although it took me a while to get used to it. I recently bought a 3wt Winston IIt and absolutely love the slower action. I now am in the market for a 5wt rod and casted a ZXL at the show down in Denver and really enjoyed the action.

My questions:
1) Would the action of the ZXL be affected much by the size/weight of the flies you use? A piece or yarn is all I had at the end of my tippet at the show and am worried the rod might feel much different with flies on.
2) What other rods would have a similar action?

Thanks in advance!

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I got this rod a few months ago. I love it. I had not bought a sage since SLT and was sad to see it go but the generation 5 is incredible.

The rod will not be affected by the weight of your average flies even if your casting a ton of junk while deep dredging. The geneartion 5 seems to be the most powerful and at the same time most forgiving graphite I have casted in some time.

I chuck big heavy bugs and have not had a problem and it feels like it will turn a dry and light tippet over nicely as well.

mojo

Reaction score
If you like the BIIT in a 3w, why not a BIIT in the 5w also?

mojo

Reaction score
Because it would be like getting the girl AND the slightly overweight twin sister...

I see your point tho.
I'd put it more like-you already have Megan Fox, so now you might as well have Cate Blanchette. Classy!

Pocono

Reaction score
I have a 9'0" BIIt 5 wt. and I fished it a lot this past year; for everything from dies to streamers. It's a nice rod with a great feel and with the ability to cast long; if that's what you need to do. I also have a 9'0" Sage ZXL and, frankly, for most applications, I prefer the BIIt.

A lot of people resist having two of the same rods; in different sizes, it's sort of an "I already have one of those" things. But, in the case of the BIIt, if I had a 3 wt. , it would not be a reason for me to not have a 5 wt., too.

Go cast the 5 wt.; see how you like it.

Pocono

FrankB2

Reaction score
The 8'6" 5wt ZXL can throw a LOT of fly, both dry, nymph, and small streamers. It can toss them quite a distance as well. No experience with the 5wt in longer lengths, however. The thing with Sage is you can return it if you don't like it, if you buy from one of the big box stores, or even Leland. Winston is being carried by Cabelas now, and I suppose they'd accept a return if they have one in stock. They carry the the BIIIX, but the bIIT is a question mark in terms of availability.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
The thing with Sage is you can return it if you don't like it, if you buy from one of the big box stores, or even Leland.
Frank - I've never heard of that before - that you can return a Sage if you don't like it. Is there a time limit on this? What are the circumstances? I fish quite a few Sage Rods but it's good to know that this is an option.

Cheers,
Mike.

FrankB2

Reaction score
You can return a Sage rod bought from a big box dealer. Until recently, Winstons were sold at fly shops, and the Winston shops I'm familiar with send the warranty card in at the time of purchase. Now that Cabelas is carrying Winston rods, I suppose you'll have the same option with that rod as well, but finding them in stock is another matter. I looked at Cabela's website last night, and most of the BIIIX rods are on backorder. I just took a quick look while typing this, and the Biit rods seem to be available in limited quantities. If you buy a Sage rod from LL Bean, you can return it for a full refund whenever you like. I asked an LL Bean saleman about Sage rods and the LL Bean warranty. He said Bean's warranty trumps Sage's, and a damaged Sage rod would be replaced at no cost (or money refunded). That sold me. ;) Leland has a 365 day return policy on all of rods they sell, but it has to be in new condition.

*Cabelas satisfaction guarantee:

If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will provide a refund or exchange the item within 90 days* of purchase.

Bean's guarantee is lifetime, but they don't come close to the number of products offered by Cabelas. Besides, if you can't make up your mind in 90 days.... :D

Pocono

Reaction score
I agree with Frank, LL Bean's warranties are the best that I've ever come across. I've been going to their main store in South Freeport, ME ever since I can remember. When it's bought through Bean's, if there's a problem with it you get a new one.

Off the fishing topic, but case in point. I puchased a pair of adirondak chairs for our cottage in Maine about 20 years ago. They wear well, but the salt air is tough on everything that's left outside; including those chairs. As each one of them decays to a point that's beyond accaptable (about once every 5 years), I just take them back to the main store and walk out with a new chair(s).

I haven't had to purchase adirondak chairs for 20 years now; I don't ever plan to have to have to purchase another one. I like Bean's. I like their products and I love their warranties.

Pocono

FrankB2

Reaction score
If you're going to plunk down major dollars for a rod, and a store like LL Bean is willing to guarantee your satisfaction, it's something to consider. While Cabelas penalizes larger purchases with larger shipping costs, LL Bean tops out at $10. They also get things out much more quickly than Cabelas. I really like the folks at the local shop, and bought tying materials there today. I'm not advocating that we abandon the small shops, but since Winston seems to have jumped onto the big box bandwagon, it only seems fair to weigh your options. I drove 90 miles (round trip) to buy hooks and thread that could have been purchased mailorder, but that's just me....

Last edited: