The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 12:35 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough
Default Somewhere in my Pond There is a Large Catfish With a Royal Wulff in It's Face

Hey y'all,
I figured that after I have seen a bunch of your stories, that I should tell the one that I will never forget.

This past weekend I was at my dad's house and my girlfriend and I were fishing in our pond in the back yard. She was using my Ugly Stik spinning outfit that I have had for a long time and I was using my newest fly rod. The wind was blowing about 20 mph all day, with gusts about to blow me off my feet! (ok not that bad but you get the picture). It wasn't really the day for fly fishing but I haven't been having much luck so I needed to go where I knew I could get a few to have a little confidence boost. lol
She was the first to catch anything, starting with a bluegill and some smaller bass, and I hadn't caught anything 3 hours into fishing.
We took a break for about an hour or two and then decided to hit it again since the wind died down. It was probably 5 or so by that time and it was just right. I tried a wooly bugger and then a minnow immitation, and then a weighted wooly and decided that I would try the royal wulff on for size. There were a few bugs flying around by the bank and the dock where we were fishing from. All the time I had been working on figuring out what the fish were eating, my girlfriend was catching them pretty consistently. (But she doesn't like touching the fish so all this time I had to put my rod down and help her out).

I had caught a couple small bluegill with one of the wooly's but not as much as I have been wanting to.
When I was in between switching flies, Cassy (my girlfriend) got a big bite and started to reel in. That was when we knew she had something huge on. I heard the drag on the reel go crazy and turned to see what she was doing and saw that the rod tip was bent WAY down! I put my rod down and started helping her fight the big fish that was on for about 5 or 10 minutes.
Man that was a fight, but it was worth it to see the big old flathead catfish that was on! It was 26" long and weighed 8 1/2 pounds! Quite the fish for her first catfish!

I will have to admit, after she caught that, my pride did get the best of me. I wasn't going to go inside until I caught me a catfish on my fly rod. The wind had basically stopped so now I figured that I had a better chance. As she went inside to tell my family about it I stayed out there trying to figure out what to use. I decided on the Royal Wulff just to see what would bite and MAN did that work! I had 5 or 6 fish in the first hour and wondered why I hadn't tried that in the first place! That is when my dad came outside with the fish food...

I saw him come out of the house with a cup of fish food and a big grin on his face. I threw my fly in there with it once I saw a couple big blue catfish in there eating. One of them took the fly and as I set the hook it took off like a rocket! That was the first fish that I have hooked that actually took line. (I love the sound of the drag ziiiiiinnnnnnnnnnggggggggg!!!). I fought with him for about 10 minutes and tried keeping him out of all the cattails we have in the pond because I knew I couldn't ever get him out of there. I was pulling about as hard as I felt comfortable doing and he was still pulling towards those cattails! I had finally decided that I wasn't going to let a fish beat me and pulled a little harder... That's when I heard the leader snap and my head and my heart sank...
I had tied some tippett onto the leader because the leader was too big for my little dry fly, and that's where I went wrong. It broke right where the blood knot was...

So now somewhere in the pond there is a big catfish with a fly hanging out of it's face. lol Even though I lost that fish, I still had a great time outside with my girlfriend having a good time that neither one of us will forget. And oh yeah, she still hasn't quit letting me hear about her fish. lol
I think that I've gotten her hooked on fishing now as well.
That's the story from this weekend. I'm sure there will be more when I go home next. I will have my revenge!

HookEmHorns
Old 04-29-2009, 12:51 PM

CowboyJustin26 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Somewhere in my Pond There is a Large Catfish With a Royal Wulff in It's Face

good one....I hope I'll catch something like that
Old 04-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Somewhere in my Pond There is a Large Catfish With a Royal Wulff in It's Face

HookEmHorns: Great story! With all that wind you were dealing with earlier in the day, now your certified to fly fish in WY. LOL!
As you found out you don't always have to land the big one to still have a great time fly fishing, especially when you have someone to share the fishing experience with.

Larry
Old 04-29-2009, 09:38 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

sounds like a fun time, thanks for sharing.