The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 04:35 PM

Benny is on a distinguished road
Default Snake eyes.....

I just joined the Forum, and I'm not sure this where to post this query.
I did an intro several days ago, in the new membership thread, (Hard to find it clear at the bottom) but I did a search of the archives and didn't turn up anything.

My question is about the Guides on a Shakespeare bamboo rod of my Dad's that was built in 1937. He probably bought it about the same time. Anyway over the many years in storage, most of the guides have disintegrated. I want to replace the guides, and hand this rod down to my Grandson, when he is old enough to appreciate what it is. I have several catalogs that sell the guides, but I have no idea what sizes I need to order. Several of the guides are still intact. The rod has 2 different tips. One is light and the other is a little heavier. The stripper guides are completely gone. Is there any data available that will tell me what belongs on the rod. I have the model number, it is Shakespeare model 1231, 7 1/2'. I would like to replace the guides with Stainless, because they would last forever, but the titanium coated guides will look more like what was on it. The cloth sock is still with it, but is very badly deteriorated, but the hickory stiffener/protector rod is still in it and in perfect shape. Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks, Benny
Old 04-29-2009, 06:08 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Snake eyes.....

Do you know the weight and length of the rod? That will help determine how many and what size guides to put back on it.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:43 PM

The length is 7' 6"...It's written on the rod. Other than the model number, which is 1231, there is no other info. I know how many guides it's going to take, I just don't know how to size them to order new ones. Some of the guides are still intact. I want to change all of them because of the deterioration of the remaining guides and wrapping's...

Benny
Old 04-30-2009, 08:02 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Fly Guides : Products : Pacific Bay International
If you scroll down to the snake guides and click on 'Show Product Data' it shows the measurements of the guides in millimeters
Old 04-30-2009, 09:00 AM

Thanks Rip...
That's just what I neded...

Benny