The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 06:22 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Getting Started

If I were you I'd unload one or two of those baitcasters and free up a couple hundred to get some real equipment, there is a difference. You don't have to have an $800 setup, but $250-300 will get you GREAT gear. A couple notches above "starter combo kit". I had "starter combo kit" I realize how miserable it is now that I have fished with the better stuff.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:27 PM

304rodco has a spectacular aura about304rodco has a spectacular aura about

Luckily you can get a decent rod for much cheaper than in the past. $150 should get you a pretty good rig. I would suggest a combo from Cabela's

www.304rodcompany.com
Old 01-14-2011, 12:29 AM

kevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
If I were you I'd unload one or two of those baitcasters and free up a couple hundred to get some real equipment, there is a difference. You don't have to have an $800 setup, but $250-300 will get you GREAT gear. A couple notches above "starter combo kit". I had "starter combo kit" I realize how miserable it is now that I have fished with the better stuff.
I've actually done just that. I have listed two Shimano baitcasters on another site and have them sold pending funds.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:37 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

check out flyshopcloseouts.com

casey

ARFE
Old 01-14-2011, 07:33 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

If your interested in fiberglass rods, Cabela's just released their CGR series. Glass rods for $100....
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 01-14-2011, 10:38 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough

I have been through this situation a few years ago and now am helping a friend with the same task.

If I had advice for someone's first combo, I would recommend a 6 weight. You can throw slightly larger flies with a 6 than a 5. You could also go after small steelhead with a more robust 6 weight and a reel with a good drag system. A 6 will throw larger flies for smallmouth better than a 5 and can also accommodate smaller trout flies. A 6 will also handle wind better than a 5 weight.

Many times, you get what you pay for. That being said, there are quality options to be had within a $300 starting range for a rod and reel. Manufacturers like Redington, St. Croix, Temple Fork, and even RL Winston offer rod options to get anglers started in fly fishing for a reasonable price. Purchasing a quality machined reel with a warranty from a Ross or Lamson will not only get you started, but it should last you a lifetime. Supporting a local fly shop with this purchase may occasionally get you free line and backing thrown in when purchasing a combination in this price range.

Rods that come highly recommended by many include:

RL Winston Passport - medium action - $199
St Croix Imperial - fast action - $200
Temple Fork Professional Series - medium fast - $150
Redington Classic Trout - moderate - $120 - $150 depending on the shop

Reels include:
Ross CLA #2,3 - fully machined reel - $185-195
Lamson Guru G2 - fully machined w/ sealed conical drag - $189
Lamson Konic 2 - pressed reel w/ same drag of higher end reels - $129

I hope this helps. Good luck.