The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 02:44 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly
Default Re: Dont know what to do??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Here are some questions to think of.

How many rods do you want to have?

What kind of platform will you be fishing from? Wading? Boat?

Do you want to fish a single handed rod or a two hander?

What manner of techniques will you be fishing? Strip? Swing? Indobobbicate?

What types of flies will you be using?

If you just want one rod for now and don't want to think too hard, just get yourself a nine foot eight weight. It will cover both your needs.

As for brands, I am partial to Sage, but there are many other quality brands on the market at every price point. I would stick with the major players since they are best with their warranties just in case something goes wrong.

MP

I am a Sage man myself but I have been eying the Temple Fork (TFO) BVK series rod 8wt and I really like the price $249.00. I was playing around casting an 8wt last weekend and the performance I thought was outstanding, I did have a chance to fish with a 5wt back about a month ago and really enjoyed the rod, almost felt better than my sage rods.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 01-19-2011, 06:29 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all

Thanks everyone for your input, I have made up my mind and I am getting a TFO BVK 8wt rod, picking it up this weekend.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:42 PM

sixweight will become famous soon enoughsixweight will become famous soon enough

I think I would rather have two rods, one for each type of fishing. Allbright makes an inexpensive but quality rod you could use for pike. Then you could spend the rest on a nice river rod for the Steelies.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:42 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
Thanks everyone for your input, I have made up my mind and I am getting a TFO BVK 8wt rod, picking it up this weekend.
Don't have too much fun....
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 01-20-2011, 03:54 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I havent held a BVK model, but have always like TFO for its performance to cost ratio. I have been very happy with all three of the TFO I own, but I would encourage you to check out the Tirx as a comparison. I have caught pike, rainbows, grayling, dollies as well as 4 of 5 species of salmon on them in a 6wt. A 7-8 wt would do everything you want and for a similar price as well as being a bit more robust in terms of salt water.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:31 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Tried to PM you, but I only had 14 posts and couldn't send a PM.

Quote:
I read your post and it reminded me I have an older Sage 8wt rod I seldom use. It's a 2 piece 8wt, and if memory serves me correctly it's 9' (I keep it stored in my garage and can't look at it right now).
If you would be interested in a used rod let me know and I'll get more details for you.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerka View Post
I havent held a BVK model, but have always like TFO for its performance to cost ratio. I have been very happy with all three of the TFO I own, but I would encourage you to check out the Tirx as a comparison. I have caught pike, rainbows, grayling, dollies as well as 4 of 5 species of salmon on them in a 6wt. A 7-8 wt would do everything you want and for a similar price as well as being a bit more robust in terms of salt water.
Nerka,

If you get a chance check out the BVK series, they just came out late last year (august) I had several opportunities to cast and fish the TFO BVK rods and I really like the performance of the rod, it really surprised me because I have been a SAGE man for a long time. The price on the 8wt is only $249 and that fits in the budget for me.

If you like TFO rods I know you will really like the BVK series rod, check it out.

Keven

Old 01-20-2011, 11:59 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Nerka,

If you get a chance check out the BVK series, they just came out late last year (august) I had several opportunities to cast and fish the TFO BVK rods and I really like the performance of the rod, it really surprised me because I have been a SAGE man for a long time. The price on the 8wt is only $249 and that fits in the budget for me.

If you like TFO rods I know you will really like the BVK series rod, check it out.

Keven
I am interesting in checking them out I just have not had my hands on one yet. I am more in the market for a heavy reel this year but wouldnt mind expanding my 3wt arsenal. I am a regular at our local sportsmans warehouse but have not seen or felt one. I tried a friend's axiom and thought that was a nice rig as well.