The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Dont know what to do?? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/92107-dont-know-what-do.html)

popperfly 01-11-2011 10:53 AM

Dont know what to do??

I am in the market to buy a new rod for Steelhead & Northern Pike fishing; I have been doing a lot of reading and still don’t know what direction to go, so I am asking for everyone’s opinion. What manufacture and rod weight would you recommend?? :confused:
Thanks...

ant 01-11-2011 10:59 AM

Re: Dont know what to do??

I haven't tried them personally, but Allen Fly Fishing just released their Nano Ti rods in 4wt-9wt. Everything else Justin has put out has been great quality, so I expect his rods to be as well.

He also gives discounts to forum members.

ghostdncr 01-11-2011 11:04 AM

I use a 13' 7/8-weight Spey rod and a 9' 8-weight single hand rod for steelhead, stripers, muskie, and other big stuff. I suspect you'll get a number of replies from the switch rod guys, but I don't own one so won't speak to their suitability. Do you ever fish the Cumberland River? Spey is the bomb on that water!

Hardyreels 01-11-2011 05:03 PM

I'm with John, 13' 8 weight and 9' singles in 7,8, & 9 weights. The 13' is the best choice for big water or areas of limited or no back cast room.

Ard

lancer09 01-11-2011 10:27 PM

They have given you some great info, for manufactures, i'm sure you can't go wrong with allen. I also really like TFO rods from practice casting them in the shop, but i do not own one. Good luck on the search.

wadef 01-12-2011 04:58 PM

I just bought a tip flex Hydros 8wt from Orvis in December because they were giving a large arbor reel with the rod for free, and I bought it specifically for Pike, Steelhead and Bone. I think it will be a great rod!!!

MoscaPescador 01-12-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popperfly (Post 192247)
I am in the market to buy a new rod for Steelhead & Northern Pike fishing; I have been doing a lot of reading and still don’t know what direction to go, so I am asking for everyone’s opinion. What manufacture and rod weight would you recommend?? :confused:
Thanks...

Here are some questions to think of.

How many rods do you want to have?

What kind of platform will you be fishing from? Wading? Boat?

Do you want to fish a single handed rod or a two hander?

What manner of techniques will you be fishing? Strip? Swing? Indobobbicate?

What types of flies will you be using?

If you just want one rod for now and don't want to think too hard, just get yourself a nine foot eight weight. It will cover both your needs.

As for brands, I am partial to Sage, but there are many other quality brands on the market at every price point. I would stick with the major players since they are best with their warranties just in case something goes wrong.

MP

Ian Mann 4 01-12-2011 09:34 PM

What's your budget?

popperfly 01-12-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_e (Post 193058)
What's your budget?

Between $0.0 to $400

hmongtana 01-13-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popperfly (Post 193078)
Between $0.0 to $400

you can get a decent setup for $400. my current pike setup costs just under $400, sans the rio line. let us know what you decide on. :thumbsup: