The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 10:53 AM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly
Default Dont know what to do??

I am in the market to buy a new rod for Steelhead & Northern Pike fishing; I have been doing a lot of reading and still donít know what direction to go, so I am asking for everyoneís opinion. What manufacture and rod weight would you recommend??
Thanks...

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 01-11-2011, 10:59 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dont know what to do??

I haven't tried them personally, but Allen Fly Fishing just released their Nano Ti rods in 4wt-9wt. Everything else Justin has put out has been great quality, so I expect his rods to be as well.

He also gives discounts to forum members.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 01-11-2011, 11:04 AM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about

I use a 13' 7/8-weight Spey rod and a 9' 8-weight single hand rod for steelhead, stripers, muskie, and other big stuff. I suspect you'll get a number of replies from the switch rod guys, but I don't own one so won't speak to their suitability. Do you ever fish the Cumberland River? Spey is the bomb on that water!

the764
Old 01-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm with John, 13' 8 weight and 9' singles in 7,8, & 9 weights. The 13' is the best choice for big water or areas of limited or no back cast room.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-11-2011, 10:27 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

They have given you some great info, for manufactures, i'm sure you can't go wrong with allen. I also really like TFO rods from practice casting them in the shop, but i do not own one. Good luck on the search.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:58 PM

wadef is on a distinguished road

I just bought a tip flex Hydros 8wt from Orvis in December because they were giving a large arbor reel with the rod for free, and I bought it specifically for Pike, Steelhead and Bone. I think it will be a great rod!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:25 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
I am in the market to buy a new rod for Steelhead & Northern Pike fishing; I have been doing a lot of reading and still donít know what direction to go, so I am asking for everyoneís opinion. What manufacture and rod weight would you recommend??
Thanks...
Here are some questions to think of.

How many rods do you want to have?

What kind of platform will you be fishing from? Wading? Boat?

Do you want to fish a single handed rod or a two hander?

What manner of techniques will you be fishing? Strip? Swing? Indobobbicate?

What types of flies will you be using?

If you just want one rod for now and don't want to think too hard, just get yourself a nine foot eight weight. It will cover both your needs.

As for brands, I am partial to Sage, but there are many other quality brands on the market at every price point. I would stick with the major players since they are best with their warranties just in case something goes wrong.

MP
Old 01-12-2011, 09:34 PM

Ian Mann 4 will become famous soon enough

What's your budget?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:02 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_e View Post
What's your budget?
Between $0.0 to $400

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 01-13-2011, 11:25 AM

hmongtana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
Between $0.0 to $400
you can get a decent setup for $400. my current pike setup costs just under $400, sans the rio line. let us know what you decide on.