The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 02:25 PM

guadalupetrout is on a distinguished road
Default Go-to fly

Hey guys, just thought I'd start a thread asking everyone what they're go-to fly pattern is. Just a pattern that can catch any species in your area and you use more than any other.

To jumpstart the thread, my go-to pattern is mack's bugger in black with green and black wire and blue flash. With it's green and black bars and it's light blue flash, it looks like pretty much every infant bass, bluegill, or grass minnow species in the state. It just kills in fast moving shallow water. So what are your go-to patterns?
-Will
Old 01-11-2011, 02:34 PM

hmongtana is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Go-to fly

size 16 bead head flashback pheasant tail will work winter, spring, summer and fall in these parts.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:15 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use a lot of 'flat wing' style streamers tied anywhere from a inch and a half to 8 inches and more
They're very realistic in the water, easy to cast in large sizes, and fairly cheap to tie.
This one, the September Night, is a good imitation of a mullet, menhaden, or most any kind of herring. The particular fly is by Kenny Abrams from his website, Stripermoon

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:45 PM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

Hare's ear or pheasant tail 16-18 is good anytime. I am not embarassed to say that a pigsticker (pink curved worm patternd) has also been working for me in a variety of situations and seasons.

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 01-11-2011, 04:00 PM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

RS2 Sparkle Wing preferred but any color and variety will work.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:10 PM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about

B!tch Creek Nymph. I would've chosen something a bit more classy, but the fish around here think otherwise.

the764
Old 01-11-2011, 04:37 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

The "Renegade". I may not start the day with it, but always go to it to save the day. *plus, it's the only fly that I've had them jump out of the water to take.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:23 PM

Walter1023 is a jewel in the roughWalter1023 is a jewel in the roughWalter1023 is a jewel in the roughWalter1023 is a jewel in the rough

a CDC/Snowshoe hare caddis I started tying. I had my best day ever (production wise) fishing it purely dry one day last season. You can add split shot and nymph it....and most recently before my season ended in november - I was having great success swinging a pair of them wet fly style....and then stripping it in a little at the end.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:11 PM

304rodco has a spectacular aura about304rodco has a spectacular aura about

Black woolybugger. Works for nearly anything that swims

www.304rodcompany.com
Old 01-11-2011, 09:15 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmongtana View Post
size 16 bead head flashback pheasant tail will work winter, spring, summer and fall in these parts.
I was using one of those the other day with success!