The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 11:51 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Invasive Species

Now that spring is finally here I thought I'd post this to remind everyone to act responsibly & clean their equipment when traveling between watersheds
...Sanitizing Wading Equipment - WDTU. Up in the Catskills there is evidence of Didymo & also in the upper Delaware river. I realize that waterfowl will continue to spread the invasive species no matter what we do but I feel we must do what we can.
There is a lot of talk on this forum about felt soles being phased out & everyone replacing them with the new rubber soles available but what about the boots themselves. I thought I'd be a responsible person & pick up a pair of LL Beans studded Aquastealth soled boots & I'm happy with the way they grab the bottom but as far as not transporting invasive species the tops are made of a canvas like material which is pretty absorbant & I think that it will carry as much junk as the felt. Also my waders have neopreme booties & seams & a double knee area. My net is cotton mesh, & my wading staff is hollow. I take stream temperatures so I carry a thermometer & use it between watersheds. I use the same flies between watersheds. I take my 15 year old dog with me sometimes & he likes to wade & swim & lay in the water & keep an eye on me. Where do I stop with the disinfecting. (Max the wonderdog won't let me bleach him) . I travel to different areas too often to disinfect between trips. I guess I'll just have to get a second set of everything if I want to be sure it's not me who ruins my favorite water. What does everyone think / do about this issue????
Old 05-01-2009, 01:23 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Invasive Species

It's definately a concern but I rarely visit 2 different watersheds on the same day and I rinse my waders before hanging them up when I get home. As far as flies and other items are concerned I would think that after a day of two they would dry out and anything on them would be dead by the time I use them again.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:34 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Invasive Species

Although expensive, I just burn all my stuff (waders, boots, flies) and go get new stuff.....

Just kidding, I'm too damn poor for that.